Should I be a Nuclear engineer or physicist?

In summary: I don't think CLEP exams are available in my area.I intend on taking calc three anyway, but i don't have the prereq. needed, so I'm talking about getting a temporary override so i can take the course....I don't think CLEP exams are available in my area. You can get a temporary override by petitioning your professor.
mike232
Hey anyone,
I am not all that good at academics and so I'm in a bind. I want to be an engineer, but no way I can transfer into Purdue's main campus, just can't get my gpa up there. I can stay at the calumet branch and get a physics degree, but my love is nuclear energy. I come here because i don't know if i should just keep at it and blow the money i don't have trying to get into the engineer program, or go the other route. Now me not being good in a classroom is what is holding me back, but i can get Bs in physics up through modern physics. But I just retook calc 2 and got D. i know enough multi-variable, diff eq's, and liner, to do a lot of the quantum mechanics and such in the modern physics course, and I'm confident I can get a decent grade in calc three which i havn't taken, because iv done all the homework for the class. So i know the physics degree is within my reach because I'm already in the school. So I am looking for advice, because my dream is to be a nuclear engineer, but it looks because of money and time it may be out of my reach. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
mike232 said:
Hey anyone,
I am not all that good at academics and so I'm in a bind. I want to be an engineer, but no way I can transfer into Purdue's main campus, just can't get my gpa up there. I can stay at the calumet branch and get a physics degree, but my love is nuclear energy. I come here because i don't know if i should just keep at it and blow the money i don't have trying to get into the engineer program, or go the other route. Now me not being good in a classroom is what is holding me back, but i can get Bs in physics up through modern physics. But I just retook calc 2 and got D. i know enough multi-variable, diff eq's, and liner, to do a lot of the quantum mechanics and such in the modern physics course, and I'm confident I can get a decent grade in calc three which i havn't taken, because iv done all the homework for the class. So i know the physics degree is within my reach because I'm already in the school. So I am looking for advice, because my dream is to be a nuclear engineer, but it looks because of money and time it may be out of my reach. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks everyone.
If you did all the homework for Calc 3 why don't you just take it and breeze through it? Or is there some kind of CLEP exam you can take?

Becoming a nuclear engineer is much more straight-forward than becoming a physicist. If becoming a NE isn't within your reach, then neither is becoming a physicist. Get the engineering degree and minor in physics to your taste. Physicists can't get that 'PE' that is oh so important.

snatchingthepi said:
Physicists can't get that 'PE' that is oh so important.

Considering that 80% of engineering graduates don't have a PE, it can't be too important. Useful, certainly. Necessary? Most engineers clearly think not. (This agrees with personal observation: out of the dozen or so engineers I work with, two have a PE. Has it helped them? Yes. Are we about to fire the other ten for not having it? No.)

Are you in the US? My experience has been no PE no job (Canada).

I am in the US, as is the OP.

I'll keep in mind the situation is different in that country for the future. Thanks.

Vanadium 50 said:
Considering that 80% of engineering graduates don't have a PE, it can't be too important. Useful, certainly. Necessary? Most engineers clearly think not. (This agrees with personal observation: out of the dozen or so engineers I work with, two have a PE. Has it helped them? Yes. Are we about to fire the other ten for not having it? No.)
I've encountered similar experience. A PE is required for certain functions, e.g., signing off on drawings and specifications, and usually, construction plans and so on, so it is beneficial.

Hercuflea said:
If you did all the homework for Calc 3 why don't you just take it and breeze through it? Or is there some kind of CLEP exam you can take?
I intend on taking calc three anyway, but i don't have the prereq. needed, so I'm talking about getting a temporary override so i can take the course. as to the comment on if i can't get the engineering degree no way i can get the physics, the only thing stopping me from getting the engi, is that my school doesn't offer it and i am not able to transfer into the school that does, but my school does offer a nuclear physics focus that i know i could get with at least Cs and Bs.

mike232 said:
But I just retook calc 2 and got D. i know enough multi-variable, diff eq's, and liner, to do a lot of the quantum mechanics and such in the modern physics course, and I'm confident I can get a decent grade in calc three which i havn't taken, because iv done all the homework for the class.
mike232 said:
I intend on taking calc three anyway, but i don't have the prereq. needed, so I'm talking about getting a temporary override so i can take the course. as to the comment on if i can't get the engineering degree no way i can get the physics, the only thing stopping me from getting the engi, is that my school doesn't offer it and i am not able to transfer into the school that does, but my school does offer a nuclear physics focus that i know i could get with at least Cs and Bs.
I would be concerned about Calc 2 and Calc 3. Upper level physics and engineering classes are usually heavy on calculus, especially the physics. Hopefully, one would strive for something more than Cs and Bs. Is one serious about nuclear engineering? What particular area in nuclear engineering? Nuclear engineering student generally have a core course load that includes nuclear reactor physics, which is really neutron transport physics. Effects of radiation on materials is another aspect. Outside of that much of an NE course is Mech. Eng. and/or Electrical Eng.

Astronuc said:
I would be concerned about Calc 2 and Calc 3. Upper level physics and engineering classes are usually heavy on calculus, especially the physics. Hopefully, one would strive for something more than Cs and Bs. Is one serious about nuclear engineering? What particular area in nuclear engineering? Nuclear engineering student generally have a core course load that includes nuclear reactor physics, which is really neutron transport physics. Effects of radiation on materials is another aspect. Outside of that much of an NE course is Mech. Eng. and/or Electrical Eng.

Of course I'll shoot for better grades. But I know my classroom is a bit lacking and I don't know how to really do better. But I know the math load. I have already read almost the entire modern physics book and some of the quantum mechanics class book. Do I know a lot of math I don't have class credit for because I havnt taken the classes. But my issue is I can never seem to get better grades than Cs and Bs in classes. But I am definitely driven to learn the material. Also a blanket question. If I get a mechanical degree and a physics with a nuclear focus. Could that open me up to get jobs in the nuclear fields like a NE? Also my dream is working on a fusion project. I don't know if a NE is the right degree for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
mike232 said:
Of course I'll shoot for better grades. But I know my classroom is a bit lacking and I don't know how to really do better. But I know the math load. I have already read almost the entire modern physics book and some of the quantum mechanics class book. Do I know a lot of math I don't have class credit for because I havnt taken the classes. But my issue is I can never seem to get better grades than Cs and Bs in classes. But I am definitely driven to learn the material. Also a blanket question. If I get a mechanical degree and a physics with a nuclear focus. Could that open me up to get jobs in the nuclear fields like a NE? Also my dream is working on a fusion project. I don't know if a NE is the right degree for that.
Yes - a mechanical engineering degree (with focus on materials and power conversion) with a physics degree (with focus on nuclear) would be a good background in nuclear energy and fusion in lieu of a nuclear engineering degree. Fusion research can focus on two main areas - the plasma (plasma physics and diagnostics) and the rest of the plant from magnetic confinement systems through first wall and the power conversion systems. Those involved in the plasma physics would likely have a physics degree, perhaps with some specialization on plasma and/or nuclear physics, or a nuclear engineering degree.

Astronuc said:
Yes - a mechanical engineering degree (with focus on materials and power conversion) with a physics degree (with focus on nuclear) would be a good background in nuclear energy and fusion in lieu of a nuclear engineering degree. Fusion research can focus on two main areas - the plasma (plasma physics and diagnostics) and the rest of the plant from magnetic confinement systems through first wall and the power conversion systems. Those involved in the plasma physics would likely have a physics degree, perhaps with some specialization on plasma and/or nuclear physics, or a nuclear engineering degree.

Ok thankyou vary much. A combo of money and time is always a limiter, so this has really helped me figure out how to achieve my goals here.

1. Should I choose to become a nuclear engineer or a physicist?

The decision between becoming a nuclear engineer or a physicist ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. Both fields involve studying the properties of matter and energy, but nuclear engineering focuses more on the practical application of nuclear science, while physics delves deeper into theoretical concepts.

2. What are the job prospects for nuclear engineers and physicists?

Both nuclear engineers and physicists have promising job prospects, with opportunities in industries such as energy, healthcare, and defense. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of nuclear engineers and physicists is projected to grow at a rate of 4% and 7%, respectively, from 2019 to 2029.

3. Is a degree in nuclear engineering or physics required for a career in these fields?

While a degree in nuclear engineering or physics is typically required for entry-level positions in these fields, there are alternative pathways such as completing a relevant apprenticeship or gaining experience through internships. However, a degree can provide a strong foundation in the fundamental principles and skills needed for these careers.

4. What skills and qualities are important for a career in nuclear engineering or physics?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and a passion for learning are essential for both nuclear engineers and physicists. Additionally, good communication skills, critical thinking abilities, and proficiency in math and science are highly valued in these fields.

5. Can I work in both nuclear engineering and physics?

While there are some overlapping concepts and skills in these fields, it may be difficult to work in both nuclear engineering and physics simultaneously. However, individuals with a background in one field may transition to the other with additional education and training. It is important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before deciding on a specific path.