1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Should I continue in physics or go to applied mathematics?

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    I just finished the 1st year of physics licenciate (equivalent to bachelor's). I came to physics only with the intent to be a researcher in physics, I never even considered other jobs physics allowed to have. But I always knew the only thing I liked about physics was the mathematical theory, its applications didn't interest me at all and even bored me.
    But I'm not so interested even in theoretical physics anymore (I know I haven't seen anything of theoretical physics in the 1st year, but I don't have the urge to know nor the interest I had in the beggining) , and even though I realize that interest can change over the next 2 years of the licenciate, it can also not change.

Because of this, I need to consider the other jobs possibilities. But I don't see anything a physicist could do that interests me... I think I don't like physics anymore, and that's what also makes me wonder why I should stay in physics...

On the other hand, applied mathematicians can work in finance very easily (and have a good income) and do theoretical work, like building models. While physicists can do this too, much of physicists jobs is to work on experimental physics and technology, which I don't care for. Applied mathematics is a more sure way of going to finance or to do more theoretical work, while if I stay in physics I might have to accept jobs that don't interest me...

I'm in this undecision for a month now, I've spoken to many physics and mathematics teachers at my university and I still can't decide... Is it worth it to change to applied mathematics, or should I keep in physics and maybe do a minor in mathematics or choose mathematics disciplines in the 3rd year? Please help me, in 1 week I think I won't be able to change to applied mathematics anymore because of the date terms....

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2011 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Re: Should I continue in physics or go to applied matematics?

Or both, as in computational physics - modeling and simulation, particularly multiphysics modeling and simulation.

4. Aug 12, 2011 #3
    Sounds like you would rather do applied math, so do that.

5. Aug 14, 2011 #4
    Do something helpful (applied). Don't bs yourself and think you're Einstein.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook