Should I do a Math/CS combined major?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Tseliottt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the individual is an applied math major at UIUC but is unsure if it is the right major for them due to lack of interest in academia and insurance research. They are considering switching to the combined math/CS major for better employment opportunities, but are also interested in astrophysics and AI. They are advised to build a portfolio and consider a Math and Stats/CS major if they have the time. They are also contemplating transferring to the engineering college to focus solely on CS courses.
Tseliottt
I'm an applied math major at UIUC, but I really can't see myself in academia, and insurance research doesn't seem too interesting so I don't really know if the majors right for me. Would the combined math/CS major offered by UIUC be better for my employment opportunities? Or is it one of those situations where compromise is a bad thing? Like where I lose programming jobs to CS majors?

I was thinking of just minority in CS, but I've read that minors are relatively useless.

For what it's worth, I can see myself doing analyst or statistician, number crunching type work. I also like programming and I'm very interested in AI. I also have a passion for astrophysics.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tseliottt said:
I'm an applied math major at UIUC, but I really can't see myself in academia, and insurance research doesn't seem too interesting so I don't really know if the majors right for me. Would the combined math/CS major offered by UIUC be better for my employment opportunities? Or is it one of those situations where compromise is a bad thing? Like where I lose programming jobs to CS majors?

I was thinking of just minority in CS, but I've read that minors are relatively useless.

For what it's worth, I can see myself doing analyst or statistician, number crunching type work. I also like programming and I'm very interested in AI. I also have a passion for astrophysics.

Thanks.

Astrophysics and CS is actually a good combination to have and I think those two things will serve you well especially for astrophysics, signal processing, and other necessary activities (like simulations coding and generation).

I can't see why you couldn't find a job where your focus is not on statistics: even if you have to use some 'statistics' or 'statistics concepts', you should be able to find work where your primary goal is far removed from this.

Just one though about AI and machine learning/data mining: any form of analysis under uncertainty is basically probability and statistics and in the context of learning and otherwise under uncertainty, it makes sense to use the frameworks of probability and statistics as one of the frameworks for learning and extended these areas.

One piece of advice though if you want to coding/software dev/etc: get a small portfolio under your belt before you apply for jobs: there are so many benefits for this both for your development and for getting work. Your portfolio should be geared towards the kind of stuff you wish to do, but anything that you do whether it's for uni projects/self-study or self-interest/outside of uni group projects like with friends/open-source/etc is definitely a huge plus and you will find that if you get an interview, someone will ask you about at least one of these.

Good luck!

I'm at UIUC as well. I'm doing Mathematics (with the applied concentration) and Statistics as my two majors, though I'm in the honors math program and just finished the honors real analysis sequence. I'm about to graduate, but if I could start over, I would change my Stats major to the Stats/CS major. Stats/CS is a single major and I would highly recommend doing a Math and Stats/CS major if you had the time.

Thanks for the words of advice. I think I'll definitely switch to the Math/CS major now. I was looking at the Berkeley Career surveys, and it was a bit disheartening to see math majors not getting too many jobs, especially compared to CS majors. A graduate even put down barista as an occupation. Though I'm sure they were kidding. Or something.

Do you think it would be worth the effort to try and transfer into the engineering college, and just take strictly CS? I'm almost a junior credit wise, so I'm not sure if I should.

Here are the courses I'm required to take for each. I think the CS/Math major covers the CS curriculum pretty succinctly, though I might throw in a few more CS courses if I have the chance.

Math:
http://provost.illinois.edu/ProgramsOfStudy/2011/fall/programs/undergrad/las/math.html

Math/CS:
http://provost.illinois.edu/ProgramsOfStudy/2011/fall/programs/undergrad/las/math_computer_sci.html

CS:
http://provost.illinois.edu/ProgramsOfStudy/2011/fall/programs/undergrad/engin/comp_sci.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Should I do a Math/CS combined major?

It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. A combined major in Math and CS can provide a strong foundation for careers in data science, computer science, and other related fields. It also allows for a more diverse skill set and can make you a more competitive job candidate.

2. Is a Math/CS combined major more challenging than a single major?

It can be more challenging because you will be taking courses in both math and computer science, which may have different teaching styles and require different skill sets. However, if you are interested in both subjects and are willing to put in the work, it can be a rewarding experience.

3. What courses will I take in a Math/CS combined major?

The specific courses will vary depending on the university, but most programs will include courses in calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, data structures, algorithms, and programming languages such as Java or Python.

4. What career opportunities are available with a Math/CS combined major?

A combined major in Math and CS can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as data science, software development, financial analysis, and many more. These fields are in high demand and often offer competitive salaries.

5. Can I switch to a combined major if I am already majoring in either Math or CS?

It depends on the specific requirements and policies of your university. Some universities may allow you to add a second major, while others may require you to apply for the combined major program. It is best to consult with an academic advisor to discuss your options.