Should I Double Major in CS and Applied Math?

In summary, the individual is currently studying Computer Science and intends to apply for a PhD program in the same field. They are considering a double major in Applied and Computational Math, but are concerned about the time commitment and its impact on their chances of getting into a top graduate school. They are interested in the applied side of CS, particularly in the field of AI, and are wondering if a double major in math will be beneficial for their future research and development opportunities. They also question if there is a unit cap at UC schools and whether it is worth pursuing a double major if it takes an extra year. The expert recommends carefully considering the relevance of the math coursework to their research focus and suggests taking courses related to AI rather than pursuing a double major
avalanche72
Hi,

Just a bit of background first: I'm going to be a sophomore this upcoming school year and my current major is Computer Science. I intend to apply to graduate school for a PhD in CS. However, I've become really interested in getting a double major in Applied and Computational Math as well.

The thing is, if I do, I will definitely need to take a fifth year as there will be 60 courses that I have to take combined, and I've only done 12 of them so far. Squeezing in those 48 courses PLUS research is just not feasible for me.

If I still want to get a PhD in CS, will Math help me, in terms of getting into a top grad school (I also like it, not just for admissions, but just wondering anyway), and be worth taking an extra year?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
avalanche72 said:
Hi,

Just a bit of background first: I'm going to be a sophomore this upcoming school year and my current major is Computer Science. I intend to apply to graduate school for a PhD in CS. However, I've become really interested in getting a double major in Applied and Computational Math as well.

The thing is, if I do, I will definitely need to take a fifth year as there will be 60 courses that I have to take combined, and I've only done 12 of them so far. Squeezing in those 48 courses PLUS research is just not feasible for me.

If I still want to get a PhD in CS, will Math help me, in terms of getting into a top grad school (I also like it, not just for admissions, but just wondering anyway), and be worth taking an extra year?

Thanks!

What specific area do you want to go into?

Most of the math that relates to computer science should be taught in those respective courses. The same sort of thing happens in engineering.

Personally (and this is based on reading other posts), you will learn what you need to for your PhD by taking graduate courses or if you pass qualifiers, just learn it on the fly.

What kind of area do you want to get into by the way?

Thanks for the reply!

As of current, I am more interested in the applied side of CS rather than the theoretical side. However, I haven't really picked a certain area that I'd like to focus on but I'm leaning towards AI right now. And since I'd rather not double major in anything like CogSci, I've heard that Applied Math plays an important role in AI due to algorithms, stats, and the like.

Really, it comes down to whether getting a double major (and taking an extra year) will hinder me in any sort of way in terms of getting into a good grad school that will give me good opportunities for R&D afterwards.

Oh! And as a general question, do UC schools have some sort of unit cap where you can't take more than X units over the course of your college career?

avalanche72 said:
Thanks for the reply!

As of current, I am more interested in the applied side of CS rather than the theoretical side. However, I haven't really picked a certain area that I'd like to focus on but I'm leaning towards AI right now. And since I'd rather not double major in anything like CogSci, I've heard that Applied Math plays an important role in AI due to algorithms, stats, and the like.

Really, it comes down to whether getting a double major (and taking an extra year) will hinder me in any sort of way in terms of getting into a good grad school that will give me good opportunities for R&D afterwards.

Oh! And as a general question, do UC schools have some sort of unit cap where you can't take more than X units over the course of your college career?

What are UC schools? I'll assume you mean undergraduate schools. I don't know about other states, but the UNC system has a 50% surcharge after 8 regular semesters.

University of California.

Yes it can hinder you, because you may compromise on time that could better be spent researching and developing depth in your field.

No, that isn't always the case, depending on if your Applied Math coursework actually helps you develop your research focus.

Don't just get a degree because Applied Math is related. If related, then take the relevant course or at least learn the material by reading a book if you don't care to do it in the depth or format of the specific course.

I would, however, recommend taking some courses related to the demands of AI - a math degree might not be ideal though. You might be better served studying probability, statistics, discrete math in general, and have a foundation in basic things like linear algebra and very basic analysis.

1. Is it worth it to double major in CS and Applied Math?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. If you are interested in pursuing a career in a field that requires both computer science and applied math skills, then it may be worth it for you to double major. However, if you are not sure how you would utilize both majors in your career, it may be more beneficial to focus on one major and use electives to explore the other subject area.

2. Will a double major in CS and Applied Math be too challenging?

It can be challenging to balance the workload of two majors, especially if they have overlapping coursework. It is important to carefully plan your schedule and seek support from academic advisors and professors. Additionally, developing good time management and study skills can help you succeed in a double major program.

3. How do CS and Applied Math complement each other in a double major?

Computer science and applied math are highly interconnected fields. A double major in these subjects can provide you with a strong foundation in both theoretical and applied aspects of mathematical and computational problem-solving. You can use your programming skills to apply mathematical concepts to real-world problems, and your mathematical knowledge can enhance your ability to analyze and optimize algorithms and software.

4. What are the career opportunities for someone with a double major in CS and Applied Math?

Having a double major in CS and Applied Math can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as data science, software engineering, financial analysis, and more. You can work in industries such as technology, finance, healthcare, and government agencies. Your skills in both math and computer science can make you a valuable asset in any field that requires data analysis and problem-solving.

5. Can I still graduate on time with a double major in CS and Applied Math?

It may take longer than the traditional four years to complete a double major in CS and Applied Math, especially if you do not have any prior credits or transfer credits. However, if you plan your schedule wisely and take summer courses, you may still be able to graduate on time. It is important to discuss your plan with academic advisors to ensure you are on track to meet all graduation requirements.