Should I expect myself to "know everything"?

In summary: However, you should not be discouraged either. You should be confident that you can solve problems that are somewhat more difficult than the ones you have been practicing with.
WWCY
I'm not sure how to put this into words but...here goes.

After going through chapters and chapters of introductory mechanics, I think I can say that I at least some of the basics down. However, when I introduce myself to extremely novel problems, I get stunned at their complexity and have to resort to asking professors and consulting their "solution manuals".

My question is:
Is this normal? Or should one be able to sweep aside novel problems with some degree of ease if one understands the fundamentals (i.e I'm far off from understanding the fundamental bits of mechanics).

I know it might be a silly line of inquiry but I'm hoping to get insight from the more experienced to set up realistic targets for my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the most important techniques for solving "complex" problems is to make them less complex by breaking them down into parts. This is not always easy of course and it can be particularly challenging if you lack experience. No one knows "everthing" and some folks are better than others in figuring out how to get started on problems.

How about you give a specific example of a problem that you experienced this with so we get a feel for just where you are?

WWCY said:
Is this normal?
Yes, but see below.
WWCY said:
Or should one be able to sweep aside novel problems with some degree of ease if one understands the fundamentals (i.e I'm far off from understanding the fundamental bits of mechanics).
I think it depends on how "novel" these problems are. When they are variations on the problems that you have been practicing with in class or in the book, I think you should be able to do them without consulting solution manuals. When they are slightly more difficult, I still believe you should be able to do them on your own, but it may require more time and effort. This is fine.

Yet, I am convinced that it is almost always possible to think of a new problem, using only concepts that were discussed in the course, and such that even the lecturer may have a hard time providing a solution. At least in my field (applied mathematics) this is the case.

So, no, you should not expect yourself to know everything, in the sense that you defined it.

1. What does it mean to "know everything" as a scientist?

As a scientist, it is impossible to know everything about a particular subject or field. Science is constantly evolving and new discoveries are made every day. It is important to have a strong foundation of knowledge in your area of expertise, but it is also important to continue learning and expanding your understanding.

2. Should I expect myself to know everything in my field of study?

No, it is not realistic to expect yourself to know everything in your field of study. As mentioned before, science is constantly evolving and there is always more to learn. It is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals, but also to remain open-minded and continue learning from new research and discoveries.

3. How can I continue to learn and expand my knowledge as a scientist?

There are many ways to continue learning and expanding your knowledge as a scientist. Some ways include attending conferences and workshops, reading scientific journals and publications, collaborating with other scientists, and staying up-to-date with current research in your field.

4. Is it important to admit when I don't know something as a scientist?

Yes, it is important to admit when you don't know something as a scientist. It is okay to not have all the answers, and in fact, acknowledging your limitations can lead to new discoveries and collaborations with other scientists. It is important to remain humble and open to learning from others.

5. How can I balance my desire to know everything with the realities of being a scientist?

It is important to recognize that it is not possible to know everything as a scientist. Instead, focus on developing a strong foundation of knowledge in your field and continue learning and staying updated on new research. It is also important to have a healthy work-life balance and take breaks to prevent burnout.