Should I give up meat altogether?

• Thread starter gotem3303
  • Start date
In summary, if you have high cholesterol levels, you should consult your doctor to see if you need to lower your cholesterol with medications or a diet change. If you have been maintaining a good cholesterol level for a long time, it's unlikely that your diet is the cause.
gotem3303
So ever since I was a little kid (Im 23 now) I've had higher than normal cholesterol levels, and I am considering giving up all meat (beef, chicken, fish) and want to get some other peoples opinions.

Now, I love meat. I can't say I eat A LOT of meat, but I definately have it at least once a day (usually for dinner) and can't remember a day in my life where I didnt. I eat all meat but tried always to focus more on chicken because I thought it was so much healthier than other meat.

Recently I found out that chicken has the same amount of cholesterol as red meat. This sucks because this whole time I though I was doing really good by trying to eat mostly chicken. Pretty much the only reason I am considering giving up meat is because of the cholesterol. I could care less about the fat content and treatment of animals and things like that.

Should I give up meat altogether? I haven't eaten meat in a week and a half and it hasnt been TOO hard yet since there are some good meat-like things from morning star and boca burger that arent that bad actually. I've definitely saved money from going out to lunch everyday at work and I am trying to eat more vegetables too. But at the end of the day, I love meat and was wondering if you think I should really give it up altogether or just eat it more in moderation. Is it really THAT bad for you?

Physics news on Phys.org

How about just fish, the other white meat?

drankin said:
How about just fish, the other white meat?

Im not a big fish eater though. Maybe I have tuna once in a while but that's pretty much the extent of it.

I like it, but its just too hard for me to make usually and would rather settle for something else.

Fish is very good (just try to avoid the farmed ones)
You would be wise to avoid saturated fat and simple sugars to lower your cholesterol (although you need saturated fat in your diet). Exercise is very important.

If your cholesterol problems are really that bad I would consider writing out your entire diet and fitness routine and go through and fix that rather than completely eliminating a food group.

You could give up meat, and have your cholesterol levels stay the same. I know several Vegans who have high, bad cholesterol levels. You should consult your Doctor for the best way to lower your bad cholesterol and ways to raise the good cholesterol levels.

hypatia said:
You could give up meat, and have your cholesterol levels stay the same. I know several Vegans who have high, bad cholesterol levels. You should consult your Doctor for the best way to lower your bad cholesterol and ways to raise the good cholesterol levels.

yep, it not only meat that make cholesterol levels high---I'm sure there's web pages that discuss it

If your cholesterol levels have been low even since a very young age, it's unlikely that your diet is the cause. For some people, it's more of a genetic issue than a dietary one, and means they're also more of a candidate for cholesterol-lowering medications rather than dietary changes.

Of course, HOW MUCH meat do you eat? Once a day could mean you're eating just a small chicken cutlet broiled or baked, or it could mean you're sitting down with a half of a chicken deep-fried in lard. If you're really just having a small serving of meat, then that's not the source of your problem.

what else could you change besides diet? exercise? lose some bodyfat?

also, you might find Dr. Davis' Heart Scan Blog interesting: http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

Giving it up totally, is fine. I did it for 10 years. I'm now 20. I have slowly let some meat back into my diet, mosly just white meat chicken, but occationaly a few other meats, in very small portions. I've always been big into my fruits and veggies though.

Related to Should I give up meat altogether?

1. Why should I consider giving up meat altogether?

There are several reasons why someone might consider giving up meat altogether. Some people choose to do so for ethical reasons, such as concerns about animal welfare or the environmental impact of large-scale meat production. Others may do it for health reasons, as a vegetarian or vegan diet has been linked to lower rates of heart disease, cancer, and other chronic illnesses.

2. Will I get enough protein if I stop eating meat?

Yes, it is possible to get enough protein from a plant-based diet. There are many vegetarian and vegan sources of protein, including beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh, nuts, and seeds. It's important to make sure you are consuming a variety of these foods to ensure you are getting all the essential amino acids your body needs.

3. What are some potential health benefits of giving up meat?

Research has shown that a vegetarian or vegan diet can have numerous health benefits, including a lower risk of heart disease, certain types of cancer, and obesity. It may also lower your risk for type 2 diabetes and improve overall gut health.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to giving up meat?

There are some potential drawbacks to giving up meat, including the need to be more intentional about getting certain nutrients such as iron, vitamin B12, and omega-3 fatty acids. It may also require more meal planning and preparation to ensure a well-rounded diet. Additionally, some people may struggle with social situations or dining out where meat is the main option.

5. Can giving up meat help the environment?

Yes, reducing or eliminating meat consumption can have a positive impact on the environment. Large-scale meat production contributes to deforestation, water pollution, and greenhouse gas emissions. By reducing our consumption of meat, we can help reduce these negative effects on the environment.