Should I go into aerospace engineering or quantum physics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the titular question of whether a honours bachelors in physics can transfer well to a masters in aerospace engineering. The respondent suggests that an aerospace engineering degree may be more beneficial in terms of job opportunities and salary. They also mention that a PhD is typically required for research in quantum mechanics and it may be difficult to find employment as a theoretical physicist. The original question is posed to gather opinions and advice on the matter. Factors such as university courses and personal interests are also mentioned as important considerations.
Maurice7510
The titular question is quite straightforward. I'm going for an honours bachelors in physics and I'm considering going for a masters in one of those fields. I don't know how well Hbsc Phys transfers to aerospace engineering, and I'm also unsure what type of branches of quantum I could go into. So any help on that, or simply an opinion on the original question (with valid reasoning) would be awesome.
Thanks,
Maurice.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're more likely to get a job with the aerospace engineering degree, and it's more likely to pay well. You'd need a PhD to do research in quantum mechanics, and not a lot of places are going to pay you to be a theoretical physicist (which is probably what you had in mind).

I don't know if you can get into graduate school for aerospace engineering with a physics degree, you may want to ask your university first if this is possible.

Are you still in school, or what year of university are you in? Have you done courses in quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics and some sort of materials science course, because the last two are mostly what aerospace engineering will be about. If not, then how do you know you will enjoy studying these things as a graduate student? Generally people only start figuring out toward the end of their degree what they would like to study in grad school, because by then you know something of the different fields you could go in to.

1. What is the difference between aerospace engineering and quantum physics?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and production of aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems. Quantum physics, on the other hand, is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. In simple terms, aerospace engineering deals with the physical design and construction of objects that move through the air or space, while quantum physics deals with the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy.

2. Which field has more job opportunities?

Both aerospace engineering and quantum physics are highly specialized fields that offer a wide range of job opportunities. However, the demand for aerospace engineers is currently higher due to the increasing need for advanced technology and innovation in the aerospace industry. On the other hand, the field of quantum physics is relatively new and is expected to grow in the coming years, leading to more job opportunities in the future.

3. Which field has a higher salary potential?

The average salary for aerospace engineers is higher compared to quantum physicists. This is because aerospace engineers typically work in industries with higher budgets, such as aerospace, defense, and government agencies. However, quantum physicists also have high earning potential, especially in research and development roles.

4. Is one field more challenging than the other?

Both aerospace engineering and quantum physics are challenging fields, but in different ways. Aerospace engineering requires a strong foundation in math and physics, as well as practical skills in design and problem-solving. Quantum physics, on the other hand, requires a deep understanding of complex mathematical concepts and the ability to think abstractly. Overall, both fields require dedication, hard work, and a passion for science and technology.

5. Can I work in both fields simultaneously?

It is possible to work in both aerospace engineering and quantum physics, but it would require a lot of dedication and a strong background in both fields. Some job opportunities, such as research and development roles, may require knowledge and skills from both fields. However, it is important to note that these fields are highly specialized, and it may be challenging to excel in both at the same time.