Should I go to the Air Force for physics?

In summary: Joining the Air Force with the intention of getting a degree will help you tremendously. You will have direct access to some of the best resources in the world. You will also have the opportunity to work on Air Force joint ventures and NASA projects. After four to five years of service, you should have the education and experience to compete for any position in the space program. You may even be able to get additional paid education while serving in the Air Force. However, once you leave the Air Force, your first obligation is to your country. You will be at the mercy of your superiors if you don't have the proper mindset and work ethic. Consider Air Force ROTC. If you can work it
Ruslan Migal
Alright so I'm a freshman in college studying physics with astronomy specialization. I want to eventually get a PhD and work for a space agency or maybe even become an astronaut. I've been told that having experience in the Air force looks much better when applying to work for a space agency. What I've been considering is to join the Air force and continue studying my degree there until I finish my bachelors there and then after I get out of the Air force continue to pursue my PhD. What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the amount of "physics" you will do as a USAF junior officer is small, and that people who join the military for reasons other than for a desire to be in find it not to their liking.

Likes russ_watters
I recommend never joining any military branch unless you want to be in the military and not for application reasons. Some of my relatives did that some out of pressure since my family has a lot of soldiers in it others for other reasons and the only ones who made it through boot camp were the ones who truly wanted to be there.

Consider Air Force ROTC. If you can work it out, you will get the Air Force to buy your Physics degree first, then its up to them to make the best use of your education. Often you can help steer your posts to NASA / Air Force joint ventures. After your 4-5 year obligation with the Air Force, you should have enough additional experience to have a edge over the majority of candidates. You may even be able to wrangle additional paid education from the Air Force while you are an officer.
However, as an Air Force officer, your first obligation is to the Air Force. You will be at their mercy/generosity once you graduate for the term of your enlistment ROTC contract.

Likes Ruslan Migal
CalcNerd said:
Consider Air Force ROTC. If you can work it out, you will get the Air Force to buy your Physics degree first, then its up to them to make the best use of your education. Often you can help steer your posts to NASA / Air Force joint ventures. After your 4-5 year obligation with the Air Force, you should have enough additional experience to have a edge over the majority of candidates. You may even be able to wrangle additional paid education from the Air Force while you are an officer.
However, as an Air Force officer, your first obligation is to the Air Force. You will be at their mercy/generosity once you graduate for the term of your enlistment ROTC contract.
Alright so if I join in a ROTC program what exactly happens? Would they transfer my all my current credits and I continue to finish school while enlisted in the Air Force? It's understandable that my first obligation would be to the airforce, but how would the schooling work? Would I work on the base and do school at the same time? I just don't want to talkk to a recruiter about this rn because I know they will say any bs and sugarcoat everything so I would join. I'm really trying to see if this is right for me. Thanks

Serving in the military is a calling. If you don't love this country and want t fight for it and bury the enemies of the US Constitution, then you won't have enough ganas when things get tough.

Done right, the USAF can be a trememdous blessing to many service men and women. But you got to join for what you can give, not for what you can get.

Likes berkeman

1. Should I have a background in physics before joining the Air Force for physics?

While having a background in physics can be beneficial, it is not required to join the Air Force for physics. The Air Force offers training and education programs for individuals with various levels of physics knowledge, and they will provide the necessary training for you to become a successful physicist in the Air Force.

2. How can I apply my physics knowledge in the Air Force?

The Air Force offers a variety of career options for individuals with a background in physics. You can work in areas such as research and development, aerospace engineering, space operations, and more. Your skills and knowledge in physics can also be applied to solving real-world problems and developing innovative solutions for the Air Force.

3. What are the benefits of joining the Air Force for physics?

The Air Force offers many benefits for individuals interested in pursuing physics as a career. These include opportunities for advanced education and training, competitive salary and benefits, job security, and the chance to work on cutting-edge technology and projects. Additionally, the Air Force provides a unique and rewarding experience for those who want to serve their country while using their physics skills.

4. What are the requirements to become a physicist in the Air Force?

The requirements to become a physicist in the Air Force may vary depending on the specific job role, but generally, you will need to have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. You will also need to pass the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test and meet physical and security clearance requirements. Additionally, having strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills is essential for success in this role.

5. Can I continue my education while serving in the Air Force as a physicist?

Yes, the Air Force offers opportunities for individuals to continue their education while serving as a physicist. You can pursue graduate degrees in physics or related fields through programs such as Tuition Assistance and the Air Force Institute of Technology. The Air Force also offers opportunities for professional development and training to help you advance in your career as a physicist.