Should I have learned real analysis before taking complex analysis

In summary, the author is struggling in a proof-based class and recommends getting a book on visual complex analysis to help improve his understanding. He feels that algebra and linear algebra are not difficult, but complex analysis is difficult because it has a large breadth of material with few depth. Complex analysis is also difficult because there are gaps in the proofs. Despite this, he recommends persevering because it gets better.
stgermaine
Hi I am taking summer class in complex analysis and I am having a horrible time.
I don't understand anything we've covered so far, e.g. Cauchy-Goursat theorem, Laurent series, series expansion, etc.

The prereqs was just Calc III, which I got an A- in.

The textbook isn't much help either, so I might see if it gets any better after I borrow a different book from the library.

Though not a prerequisite for this class, would real analysis have helped me understand the topics in complex analysis much better? How should I approach analysis? I am in need of dire help

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
A usual course in complex analysis does not require a course in real analysis, although it might need advanced calculus.

Are you having trouble because it's a proof based class, or because you feel that you don't know the prerequisites, or something else?

I was in your exact situation last fall. Took calc 3 but not real analysis and I took complex analysis. It's a tough class. I also found laurent series to be the hardest part of the course. My prof gave the class a big curve though because more than half of the class withdrew and the highest grade of the rest was like a B-. Good luck.

*ended up with a B

Personally, I did not feel that I needed real analysis to succeed in complex analysis (I also took complex prior to real). The only benefit that I think real analysis would have offered is some additional experience with rigorous, proof-based mathematics (but I feel that complex analysis helped me with real analysis in this same way).

I do think the transition from your typical calculus course that focuses on problem-solving into analysis of any kind is difficult if you've never been exposed to that level of mathematical rigor.

Office_Shredder said:
Are you having trouble because it's a proof based class, or because you feel that you don't know the prerequisites, or something else?

No, I think it's just that I totally suck at analysis. I took algebra and linear algebra (300 and 400 level courses) which had plenty of proofs. I was also taking differential equations last semester but ended up dropping it.

Proofs I am fine with, but it just something about complex analysis I don't really get.

stgermaine said:
No, I think it's just that I totally suck at analysis. I took algebra and linear algebra (300 and 400 level courses) which had plenty of proofs. I was also taking differential equations last semester but ended up dropping it.

Proofs I am fine with, but it just something about complex analysis I don't really get.

Can you describe why you thought algebra and linear algebra were not so difficult and why complex analysis is difficult? What makes it hard?

I recommend you to get the book visual complex analysis by Needham: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198534469/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It was a prerequisite for me. I took complex after real and I didn't feel like I was benefitted in a major way, other than being able to breeze through some of the basic limits/continuity proofs.

Of course classes are taught differently everywhere, but the main thing that irked me about complex analysis was the number of topics. As opposed to real analysis, linear algebra, and algebra that focused deeper on a shorter list of topics, my complex analysis contained a much larger breadth of material without as much depth (my class used Brown and Churchill). I guess this is because certain results were generalizations of the already-well-covered topics in real analysis.

micromass said:
Can you describe why you thought algebra and linear algebra were not so difficult and why complex analysis is difficult? What makes it hard?

I recommend you to get the book visual complex analysis by Needham: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198534469/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I feel like algebra proceeded in a fairly step by step way. First you covered basic number theory. Then Euclid's algorithm, then you go into GCD and modular arithmetic, then Euler's totient theorem, etc.

Complex analysis I guess does go in steps, covering complex variables first, then learning about complex differentiation, Green's theorem, line/contour integrals, and moving on to Cauchy's Theorem and Laurent series. I guess it's that there is a lot of visualization involved, which is something I didn't really need for algebra.

For example, when learning about Euler's totient theorem, I had a fairly solid base that i could follow the proof without being confused too much. When I see the proof for Cauchy's Integral theorem, I feel like there are large 'gaps' in the proof, or rather my understanding of the proof.

Last edited:
don't despair. we all suffered with our first analysis course as this is where one first encounters super precise and picky arguments. it gets better.

A good grasp of geometric proofs is useful.

1. What is the difference between real analysis and complex analysis?

Real analysis is the study of calculus and real numbers, while complex analysis is the study of complex numbers and their functions. Complex analysis builds upon the concepts and techniques learned in real analysis, but also introduces new concepts such as analytic functions and contour integration.

2. Why is it important to learn real analysis before complex analysis?

Real analysis provides the foundation for complex analysis. Many of the fundamental concepts and techniques in complex analysis, such as continuity, differentiability, and integration, are first introduced in real analysis. Without a solid understanding of these concepts, it can be difficult to fully grasp the more advanced concepts in complex analysis.

3. Can I skip learning real analysis and go straight to complex analysis?

It is not recommended to skip learning real analysis before attempting complex analysis. Real analysis provides the necessary background and skills to understand the more complex concepts in complex analysis. Attempting to learn complex analysis without a solid foundation in real analysis can lead to confusion and difficulty in understanding the material.

4. How can real analysis help me in my study of complex analysis?

Real analysis provides the analytical and problem-solving skills needed to excel in complex analysis. It also introduces important concepts such as convergence, continuity, and differentiability, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of complex functions. Real analysis also helps develop a deeper understanding of mathematical proofs, which are integral in the study of complex analysis.

5. Is it possible to learn complex analysis without any knowledge of real analysis?

While it is possible to learn some basic concepts of complex analysis without prior knowledge of real analysis, it is not recommended. Without a solid understanding of real analysis, it can be difficult to fully grasp the more advanced concepts in complex analysis and apply them to real-world problems. It is best to have a strong foundation in real analysis before attempting to learn complex analysis.