1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I major in computer science/computer engineering?

1. Oct 22, 2014 #1
    I have an associate's degree in computer information systems. I am planning to go to college again, take some classes, and later transfer to an institution with hopes of getting a bachelor's degree in computer science or computer engineering (I am interested in these majors). The problem is that I received my associate's degree two years ago and I have a few problems.
    First, I have forgotten almost all I learned from the C++ programming class I took. I have read that CS and CE both require a lot of programming, so I am not sure if knowing almost nothing about programming anymore is a huge disadvantage.
    Second, similar to my previous concern, I have forgotten a lot of math. I know I need to take calculus, but I have forgotten a lot of algebra already and I know nothing about trigonometry.

So, is it a good idea to major in any of them? Are these majors for people that already have a lot of programming experience?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2014 #2
    Of course, it's a good idea to major in computer science. Doesn't require any programming experience, normally, although it probably would help if it were one of the super competitive programs where it's hard to even get into the program. As far as the math, that will just be a couple extra classes to have to take. Being good at math is a plus, but maybe not a requirement, as long as you can think somewhat logically. Given that you have taken a class before and are still interested, I don't think it should be a problem.

I'm not sure about computer engineering. I think it tends to be a lot like electrical engineering, as a major, which is more math-intensive. Computer engineering itself isn't that math-intensive, though. And the jobs you can get at the end will probably not involve too much math, either, I would think.

Both majors probably require at least a slightly mathematical mind, though.

You might want to try codecademy or something. It's a pretty easy way to learn some of the basics of programming, and it's free (just google it). You can learn Python, JavaScript, Ruby, php, html/css, and perl, I think. So, that might be a good warm-up. If that's not too intimidating, you can proceed with computer science.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook