Should i major in physics (struggling visual learner)?

In summary, the speaker is struggling with understanding algebra-based concepts in physics and is considering giving up on pursuing a physics major. They feel more confident in their abilities as a physicist or mathematician but are considering majoring in biology instead. However, they have been able to figure out problems on their own and believe that they can still do well by asking questions and studying on their own. They also mention a similar experience with not understanding lectures in class but being able to grasp the concepts later on.
visuality
Hi I'm new here!
I've always loved math and have been really good at figuring out how to solve word problems logically and figuring out math in general. When my teachers explain how to do problems i get confused/can't follow what they're saying but its usually fine because i can just figure it out myself. However in physics, a lot of the concepts are explained using algebra and my inability to follow what's going on is becoming a problem. I've stalked a bunch of the physics professors at the college I'm going to on ratemyprof and none of them seem like they teach in a way that i can completely understand (like a more visual approach).
I'm not sure if I'll just have to work harder and ask a lot of questions or if i should just give up and just major in something like bio instead? I feel like I'd be a better physicist or mathematician than a biologist but bio would be a much easier major for me. What should i do?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a lot of people who are unable to follow lectures comfortably, but who still do alright. If you are able to grasp the concepts by studying yourself and asking questions, then you'll be fine.

I have a very similar problem. In fact, I can't recall the last time I've ever answered a question correctly in class. The teacher explains something, I don't follow it at all, but then I go home and do homework or read through notes and it clicks. It's okay to not understand something while it's being taught.

1. Should I major in physics if I am a struggling visual learner?

It ultimately depends on your individual strengths and learning style. While physics does involve a lot of visual concepts, there are also mathematical and analytical aspects that may suit other learning styles. It may be helpful to speak with a physics advisor or take a few introductory courses to see if it is a good fit for you.

2. What strategies can I use as a visual learner to succeed in a physics major?

Some strategies that may benefit visual learners in a physics major include using visual aids such as diagrams and videos, utilizing hands-on experiments and demonstrations, and creating your own visual study materials. It may also be helpful to collaborate with peers and attend office hours for additional support.

3. Are there any alternative majors to consider for visual learners interested in physics?

Yes, there are alternative majors that may also incorporate aspects of physics and cater to visual learners. These include engineering, astronomy, and geology. It is also possible to minor in physics while majoring in a related field.

4. Is a physics major worth pursuing if it is challenging for me as a visual learner?

Ultimately, the value of a physics major depends on your personal interests and career goals. If you are passionate about physics and willing to put in the effort, it can lead to many rewarding opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, and education. However, if you find it too challenging, it may be worth considering alternative majors.

5. How can I determine if I am a visual learner and if a physics major is right for me?

You can determine your learning style by taking online assessments or reflecting on your past academic experiences. It may also be helpful to speak with a career counselor or academic advisor. Additionally, you can explore physics through online resources or introductory courses to see if it is a subject you enjoy and can succeed in as a visual learner.