1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Should I self-study Calc III before taking the course?

1. Jun 27, 2008 #1
    So I have some free time this summer and was wondering if it would help to review topics from Several Variable Calculus (I believe its called calc III in most places?) before taking the class. I havent taken calc with a lot of integrals in a year now because my freshman year in college i took a class that was for people who got a 5 on the AP calc AB exam which covered the BC portion focusing on series, differential equations, and complex numbers. Then I took Linear Algebra second semester. So im signed up for several variable calc next semester but I really want to do well and my school is very challenging. Would it be helpful to start going over material now?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I. Studying Calculus III now would be a very good idea as preparation for enrolling in it in the Fall - unless you are weak in Calculus II, in which case;
    II. Restudying Calculus II now would be a very good idea, and you could begin studying some of the beginning parts of Calculus III as you have time before starting it officially in the Fall.

4. Jun 28, 2008 #3
    make sure you're really confident about trig derivatives and basic trig integrals. i was out of calc II for a year before i took calc III, and those nearly killed me.

5. Jun 28, 2008 #4
    Studying something in advance can't hurt you (in most cases), but it is not required. What I found hard in Calc 3 is not knowing how to deal with 3d space. So getting intuitive notions of say 3d graphs, multiple integrals, and partial derivatives would help. Depending on how much theory they teach, it can be on of the hardest courses.

6. Jun 28, 2008 #5
    no need . its not hard to pick it up as you go along and just asdk ur teech if u dont understand a concept. take your time to enjoy summer!

although what i would recommend u to do is review, not preview. know polar, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates.

7. Jun 28, 2008 #6
    I found the only thing from Calc II that I used in Calc III was integration by parts and some parametric and polar equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?