1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Would taking Calc III make up for having *Zero* AP classes?

1. Nov 27, 2017 #1

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hi PF! :')

Ultimately, I've taken zero AP classes in my entire time in high school and, at first, I didn't see this as a problem. But now there are a couple of people who've told me otherwise (in terms of getting into college for undergrad). SO, if I take calc III at my local community college next Spring, do you think that that would make up for my weak transcript? Would it show colleges that, hey, I'm not as lazy as my transcript implies?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Getting good grades in college classes would go a long way toward overcoming weak HS grades.

However, are you ready for Calc 3 in college? Your college will definitely have prerequisites for getting into this class.

4. Nov 27, 2017 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

AP? A plus? Not really. Bragging/boasting, yes.

5. Nov 27, 2017 #4

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Whew! Thanks for letting me know! And, yes, I've got the prereqs. I'm currently taking calc II at the same college, but only because I would've be extremely bored this fall without it.

6. Nov 27, 2017 #5

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

7. Nov 27, 2017 #6

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Wait, would schools still question why I didn't take any AP classes? Because, sure, I'm taking a lot of math, but there's a lack of advanced English, History, etc.,etc.

8. Nov 27, 2017 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, I meant, "That AP classes should not be regarded as a 'positive' asset." Status symbol, yes. Meaningful status symbol, no.

9. Nov 27, 2017 #8

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

ooh, sorry lol :") I've never heard anyone express that opinion, since AP class rigor > college prep class rigor, but that's very assuring, thank you.

10. Nov 27, 2017 #9

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... used to mean something, but not a whole lot these days.

11. Nov 27, 2017 #10

Mark44

I don't believe so. If your grades in the college classes are strong, I don't think anyone will care that you didn't take AP courses.

12. Nov 27, 2017 #11

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Start at the very beginning of the Calculus series (meaning, Calculus & Analytic Geometry 1), IF YOU ARE QUALIFIED. If you are not qualified, then start at something lower, like Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, or Trigonometry.

Don't try to fool yourself. AP Calculus is a very dubious status symbol. What is important is, what competence you have at any particular time.

13. Nov 27, 2017 #12

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Just in case I misunderstood - Whatever sequence of Mathematics courses you go through during college or university, once you earn successful credit in Calculus 3, your high school A.P. Calculus credit is not important any more.

14. Nov 27, 2017 #13

jtbell

Indeed, since neither AP Calculus AB nor BC include multivariable (vector) calculus, at least according to Wikipedia, I would argue that if you've completed college-level Calculus I and II successfully, AP Calculus is unnecessary.

15. Nov 29, 2017 #14
    But in theory, the classes at the community college, would be taught by someone who at the bare minimum has a masters degree. You will be getting college credit, and you get an idea of what is somewhat like. You get to be that little kid in the math class, that everyone is marveled by lol.

16. Nov 29, 2017 #15
    How about also taking the equivalent of AP English, and other general ed requirements, at the community college?

17. Nov 29, 2017 #16

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Not sure what that is. Community college instruction for Mathematics is good. At the college level, a student should want a teacher with at least Master's degree. These teachers can also teach the remedial math courses well, which is good because many c.c. students still need some of those courses.

This means that now that the student is a little older (or more) than when in high school, he/she/they can do better in these English courses than before. Having whatever A.P. courses in high school would still not have been a waste. It just means better possible preparation in case taking similar courses at the c.c.

18. Nov 29, 2017 #17

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I never considered this, but that might be a good idea, since I have only a single strictly writing-based course next semester. Thanks.

19. Nov 29, 2017 #18

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hypothetically speaking, if I accidentally got a B in Calc II, would that count as being a "strong" grade?

Where would a B in Calc II be between the range of downright awful to superb, given that the rest of my application is pretty fine? If the admissions committee of a school was wavering between a rejection and an acceptance, would that B be a turning point to rejection? Or still look great? =_=

Just wondering as I just left an exam and currently feel awful :) Sorry. I'll probs come back to read this post and feel stupid for asking.

20. Nov 29, 2017 #19

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You might accidentally get a B grade in Calculus II, but if it is not a true sign that you did as well as B should mean but that you did worse, then you would likely not be competent enough to succeed in Calculus III. How honest do you know how to be with yourself? If you can detect that you learned less well than the grade you were issued, then at least you have the chance to review what you had just finished studying in order to be ready for the next course.

21. Nov 30, 2017 #20

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hey, quarky, you're back. :smile: Haven't seen you around in a while.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted