Should I send my GRE scores if they're not required?

• Thread starter Only a Mirage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gre
In summary, the individual is concerned about their GRE scores and how they may affect their chances of getting into top graduate schools in electrical engineering. They have a 3.97 GPA but are worried about their GRE scores not being high enough. They are considering sending their scores to schools that do not require them, but are unsure if it will have a negative impact. Another individual reassures them that their scores are not low enough to prevent their admission and it ultimately comes down to other factors such as research experience and reference letters. They also mention the importance of a strong statement of purpose.
Only a Mirage
Here's the deal: I took the GRE a few weeks ago. Didn't do as well as I'd hoped in the quantitative section. I received

164 (90th percentile) Quantitative (93rd Percentile) 164 Verbal (92nd percentile) 5 Writing

I was planning on applying to top grad schools in electrical engineering, e.g. MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, etc., as well as safety schools. But I'm hoping to go to a top 10 school.

I have a 3.97 GPA, but I don't know if my GRE scores are going to keep me out of top schools.
Some schools don't require GRE scores though, like MIT. Should I send my scores to MIT anyway? Or are they low enough that I would be better off not? And do you guys think my GRE scores are going to ruin my chances of, say, Stanford?

Physics news on Phys.org
i may be obtuse, but what possible reason would you have for sending an unrequired piece of data that you think makes you look bad?

mathwonk said:
i may be obtuse, but what possible reason would you have for sending an unrequired piece of data that you think makes you look bad?

Hi mathwonk! Thanks for the response.

Here's what I was worried about. I was thinking that maybe it was still common for students to submit GRE scores to schools that don't require it, and by me not submitting my scores, schools might assume that my scores are even lower than they are.

But I guess I was just over analyzing that. Do you think my scores are low enough to prevent my admission to schools that do require it?

I pretty much scored the same as you on the GRE, Q:165, V:165, W:5. I will also be applying to some top 10 schools in physics, and I am fairly confident I will get in.

I highly doubt anyone is going to care that you or I didn't get 170 on the Quantitative. It just comes down to a few dumb mistakes we made, but that doesn't really say much about our research potential. Your GPA is pretty solid, so I don't think they will doubt your mathematical skills.

Also, your verbal and writing makes up for it I think. The fact that your scores all around high is not something to pass off. I actually think that how one does on the verbal is more representative of their thinking abilities than how one does on the Quantitative which is just straight up basic math. Also, schools like people who are extremely fluent in English.

So to finish. No, your GRE scores won't keep you out of the top schools. GREs are a filter. Once you make the basic cutoff plus a bit more, it all comes down to things like research experience and reference letters.

Lastly, if a school doesn't require GREs, don't send them GREs. If they wanted them they would ask.

nicholls said:
I pretty much scored the same as you on the GRE, Q:165, V:165, W:5. I will also be applying to some top 10 schools in physics, and I am fairly confident I will get in.

I highly doubt anyone is going to care that you or I didn't get 170 on the Quantitative. It just comes down to a few dumb mistakes we made, but that doesn't really say much about our research potential. Your GPA is pretty solid, so I don't think they will doubt your mathematical skills.

Also, your verbal and writing makes up for it I think. The fact that your scores all around high is not something to pass off. I actually think that how one does on the verbal is more representative of their thinking abilities than how one does on the Quantitative which is just straight up basic math. Also, schools like people who are extremely fluent in English.

So to finish. No, your GRE scores won't keep you out of the top schools. GREs are a filter. Once you make the basic cutoff plus a bit more, it all comes down to things like research experience and reference letters.

Lastly, if a school doesn't require GREs, don't send them GREs. If they wanted them they would ask.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond and for your very complete answer. Your perspective is reassuring. I don't think my letters or rec or previous research are really stellar (haven't published anything), but I guess I should just focus on the things I can change before applications are due, like writing a really strong statement of purpose.

1. Should I still send my GRE scores if they are not required for the program I am applying to?

It is ultimately up to you whether or not you want to send your GRE scores if they are not required. However, it may be beneficial to send them if your scores are high and can strengthen your application.

2. Will not sending my GRE scores hurt my chances of being accepted into the program?

Not sending your GRE scores will not necessarily hurt your chances of being accepted, as it is not a required component of your application. However, if your scores are high, it may be beneficial to include them.

3. Are there any programs that do not require GRE scores at all?

Yes, there are some programs that do not require GRE scores at all. These programs may focus more on other aspects of your application, such as your undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statement.

4. Can not sending my GRE scores save me money on application fees?

Yes, not sending your GRE scores can potentially save you money on application fees. Some programs may require an additional fee for processing and reviewing GRE scores.

5. How do I know if I should send my GRE scores or not?

It is ultimately up to your own discretion whether or not to send your GRE scores. Consider the strength of your scores and how they may impact your overall application. If you are unsure, you can also reach out to the admissions office of the program you are applying to for their recommendation.