1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I study Varation Calculus over the summer for classical mech class?

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    I'm taking my first upper tier physics class in fall 2012 Analytical Mechanics. I know that the calculus of variation is fundamental to understanding the Lagrangian and because this will be the only classical mechanics class I will take in my undergrad I want to understand it well. Do you think I will gain a lot more insight into the field if a I study on my own calculus of variation?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2
    Hey xdrgnh,
    Classical mechanics courses typically teach the required material from variational calculus in the first part of the class. You would certainly be a bit better off from knowing it ahead of time, but the actual mathematics is not particularly complex, and most of the difficulty will come from applying it to physics problems. A better approach in my opinion (if you want to do stuff ahead of time) is to just pick up a book on lagrangian mechanics and do problems in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook