1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I take a closer look at Geophysics?

1. May 15, 2013 #1
    Hey everyone!
    I'm currently undecided on whether I should study Economics or Geophysics. The main reason I'm undecided is because I don't have much of a clue what kinds of careers are open for Geophysicitst. After taking a course in General Geology this semester, I found topics such as Plate Tectonics, Volcanism and Mineralogy pretty interesting. However, my greatest fear is that if I decide to major in Geophysics, I'll only be able to get a career in that field if I have a PhD, which will obviously take plenty of time and money to accomplish. Is the part about me needing a PhD true?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2013 #2
    It depends on which part of the world you are in. Ph.D. would give more options but there are jobs for masters as well. Mostly you'll end up working in oil companies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook