Should I take Calc 3 before Physics 2?

In summary, the Physics 2 course at the college covers various topics such as Coulomb's Law, electric fields and potentials, capacitance, Ampere's Law, and more. The official prerequisite listed on the college's website is only calculus 2. However, some students suggest taking calculus 3 first as it covers some concepts that appear in Physics 2. While it may be helpful, most of the material in calculus 3 is not necessary for Physics 2. It is recommended to not postpone taking Physics 2 just to take calculus 3 beforehand. However, some students believe taking calculus 3 first can be beneficial, especially for those who struggled in Physics 1. Ultimately, the decision should be based on individual schedules and
MisterAvocadoMan
I've heard several people mention that physics 2 uses a lot of material covered in calc 3 (multivariable I believe would be its equivalent).
The physics 2 course at my college covers Coulomb's Law, electric fields and potentials, capacitance, currents and circuit, Ampere's Law, Faraday's Law, inductance, Maxwell's equations, electromagnetic waves, ray optics, interference, and diffraction according to the catalog.
I'm not positive if this is where this type of post goes so if it belongs somewhere else, please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does your college's website or catalog list as the official pre-requisites and/or co-requisites for physics 2?

jtbell said:
What does your college's website or catalog list as the official pre-requisites and/or co-requisites for physics 2?
It only specifies calculus 2 as the prerequisite on the website.
I had heard from some that a lot of calc 3 subjects show up in the class and they said it was better to take calc 3 first as a result.
I've been having a difficult time with physics 1 so I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and take calc 3 first to try and be better prepared for physics 2 or not.

That sounds like a good idea, MisterAvocadoMan. That way, you can focus on the physics without also trying to understand the math. After all, calc 3 is a very difficult subject, IMHO. Normally I wouldn't suggest it but since you have been struggling in physics 1, I think it is a good idea.

Physics 2 will introduce some Calculus-3 level concepts (most notably surface, line and volume integrals) in a way that doesn't assume that you've already had Calculus 3. Furthermore, the examples and exercises that use those concepts will be simple enough that you can calculate answers without using the general techniques that you will study in Calculus 3. Basically, they'll be simple enough that you can do the calculus part "by inspection" without doing any "real calculus."

If you're going to take Calculus 3 before Physics 2 anyway, it would probably help a little, but most of the material in Calculus 3 will be way above the level needed for Physics 2. I certainly wouldn't postpone Physics 2 just so you can take Calculus 3 beforehand.

Likes gleem and PhanthomJay
Okay, two different views. You'll have to decide which to take. I don't know that much about physics tuition so take that into account.

jtbell said:
Physics 2 will introduce some Calculus-3 level concepts (most notably surface, line and volume integrals) in a way that doesn't assume that you've already had Calculus 3. Furthermore, the examples and exercises that use those concepts will be simple enough that you can calculate answers without using the general techniques that you will study in Calculus 3. Basically, they'll be simple enough that you can do the calculus part "by inspection" without doing any "real calculus."

If you're going to take Calculus 3 before Physics 2 anyway, it would probably help a little, but most of the material in Calculus 3 will be way above the level needed for Physics 2. I certainly wouldn't postpone Physics 2 just so you can take Calculus 3 beforehand.
That seems fair, that's pretty much what I was looking to find out. I've heard physics 2 is supposedly much more difficult then 1 so I just wanted to get an idea of if it'd be better or not.

verty said:
That sounds like a good idea, MisterAvocadoMan. That way, you can focus on the physics without also trying to understand the math. After all, calc 3 is a very difficult subject, IMHO. Normally I wouldn't suggest it but since you have been struggling in physics 1, I think it is a good idea.
That's why I was thinking this way also. I'm not doing terrible so far, but nothing's really come easy to me this term and I'm worried I'll just be totally lost with figuring out the more advanced topics and unfamiliar math.

I'll have to just weigh which one works better for my schedule then, I know I'd like to knock out Physics 2 over spring so I may go about doing that.
Thank you both for your advice, I appreciate the guidance a lot.

Another factor to consider... if you take a semester (or two) break between Physics 1 and Physics 2, you'll lose some momentum (figuratively, not literally! :oldwink:) and will probably have to make some effort to get back up to speed when you start again.

jtbell said:
Another factor to consider... if you take a semester (or two) break between Physics 1 and Physics 2, you'll lose some momentum (figuratively, not literally! :oldwink:) and will probably have to make some effort to get back up to speed when you start again.
That's a good point.

jtbell said:
removed some other stuff and then,...

I would.

MisterAvocadoMan said:
I've heard several people mention that physics 2 uses a lot of material covered in calc 3 (multivariable I believe would be its equivalent).
The physics 2 course at my college covers Coulomb's Law, electric fields and potentials, capacitance, currents and circuit, Ampere's Law, Faraday's Law, inductance, Maxwell's equations, electromagnetic waves, ray optics, interference, and diffraction according to the catalog.
I'm not positive if this is where this type of post goes so if it belongs somewhere else, please let me know.

Different universities will offer physics 2 at different levels. Mine happens to offer two lower-division courses for E&M: The advanced introduction requires current enrollment in or completion of (ordinary) differential equations, and lists completion of calc 3 as a prerequisite. The basic introduction requires calc 3 as a corequisite. (Undergraduate programs overall will vary quite a bit in the way they choose to distribute material between the introductory and the upper-division E&M courses.)

A basic course, for example, will generally only apply Gauss' Law or Ampere's Law in cases where symmetry conditions are convenient enough to reduce integrals to a mere algebra problem. In general, you will probably only scratch the surface of Maxwell's equations, and won't use much of the formalism of vector calculus, particularly with solving the Laplace/Poisson equations.

The course also might go for a hand-wavy segue from EM waves to ray optics and to physical optics. (After you take the course, if you don't cover the transition between those topics, some things to consider for further reading are Maxwell's equations in materials, the eikonal equation, and Fresnel diffraction integrals.)

I don't know about your specific university, but if it doesn't require calc 3 as a prerequisite, I'd say you should be fine to take it concurrently. A decent physics professor should be able to introduce the mathematical techniques necessary for a basic introduction to the topic.

1. Should I take Calc 3 before Physics 2?

This is a common question for students who are planning their course schedules. The answer depends on your individual strengths and goals. If you have a strong foundation in calculus and are interested in pursuing more advanced topics in physics, taking Calc 3 before Physics 2 may be beneficial. However, if you struggle with calculus and are more interested in practical applications of physics, it may be better to take Physics 2 first.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage if I take Physics 2 before Calc 3?

It's not necessarily a disadvantage to take Physics 2 before Calc 3, but it may be more challenging since Physics 2 builds upon the concepts learned in Calc 1 and 2. However, if you have a good understanding of basic calculus, you should be able to succeed in Physics 2.

3. Can I take Calc 3 and Physics 2 at the same time?

It is possible to take Calc 3 and Physics 2 concurrently, but it may be a heavy course load. Both classes require a significant amount of time and effort, so it's important to assess your own abilities and time management skills before deciding to take them together.

4. How important is Calc 3 for understanding Physics 2?

Calc 3 is not a prerequisite for Physics 2, but it does provide a strong foundation for understanding the mathematical concepts used in physics. In Physics 2, you will encounter concepts like vector calculus and differential equations, which are covered in Calc 3. Having a solid understanding of these topics will make it easier to grasp the material in Physics 2.

5. What if I don't plan on pursuing a career in science or engineering?

If you don't plan on pursuing a career in science or engineering, taking Calc 3 and Physics 2 may not be necessary. However, these courses can still be beneficial in developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied in many other fields. It's important to consider your interests and future goals when making decisions about which courses to take.