What's the best way to apply the concepts learned in physics 2?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
astroman707
Messages
61
Reaction score
5
I'm finishing up physics 2(intro E&M) at my college, and I'd like to apply the concepts I learned in it over the summer. I was considering working through an electronics book, or building a radio, etc.
What kind of projects or books do you recommend to cement some of the topics I learned in a practical way?

**Edit**
Topics covered in the calc-based physics two class are:
Electric force and electric charge
Electric Field
Gauss law
Electrostatic potential and energy
capacitors and dielectric
current and ohm's law
direct current circuits
magnetic force and field
charges and currents in magnetic fields
electromagnetic induction
alternating current circuits
electromagnetic waves/maxwell's equations
reflection, refraction, and optics
interference and diffraction
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Building a radio receiver would be fun and instructive. You can start with a simple kit, or look up some schematics and build one from scratch on your own, depending on how comfortable you are with building electronics prototypes. What have you built so far?

Can you post a list of the topics covered in that course?
 
astroman707 said:
all the topics
At the college where I taught, "Physics 2" (actually a different number, of course, but I assume you mean second term of intro physics) covered thermodynamics, electric and magnetic fields, electrical circuits, and optics. It would be a challenge to combine them into one project!

Maybe build a solar-energy collector? Or a telescope?
 
berkeman said:
Building a radio receiver would be fun and instructive. You can start with a simple kit, or look up some schematics and build one from scratch on your own, depending on how comfortable you are with building electronics prototypes. What have you built so far?

Can you post a list of the topics covered in that course?
I've updated the post to reflect all the topics we learned. I actually haven't built anything, but I do know how to solder. I really want to learn more about electronics, but I want to tie it into the material I learned in phys 2. Basically, I'm looking for a way to combine the theory I learned, with practical electronics and such.
Thanks!
 
jtbell said:
At the college where I taught, "Physics 2" (actually a different number, of course, but I assume you mean second term of intro physics) covered thermodynamics, electric and magnetic fields, electrical circuits, and optics. It would be a challenge to combine them into one project!

Maybe build a solar-energy collector? Or a telescope?
That makes sense. I wasn't very clear. I wasn't necessarily looking for one project that encompasses everything. But perhaps, a few projects that cover a fair spread of the material I learned.