Should i take graduate or undergraduate in Accounting

In summary, Choppy thinks that option 1, applying as an undergraduate freshman, is a safe choice since they offer all basic and practical knowledge and skills needed to be a professional accountant. This route may be better since it saves me from studying foundation courses which I don't know if they would profit me in the future or not. Option 2, applying as a graduate student, may be better since it saves me from studying foundation courses which I don't know if they would profit me in the future or not. Choppy thinks that if you're already old, then the real major ageism concerns come in for people who are looking for positions when they are close to retirement age. There really isn't a lot of difference in the professional world for
Sakura1312
Dear everyone,
I am an international student. I graduated with BS in International Business 2 years ago. After going to work, I realized I am interested in mathematics rather than competing another. I want to be an accountant in the future. But I believe it takes professional degree, to be a professional accountant. Which choice should I choose?

1. Apply as an undergraduate freshman.
I wonder if my age and the high school diploma I got 6 years ago affect my chance of admission acceptance.
This option maybe a safe choice since they offer all basic and practical knowledge and skills need to be a professional accountant
And it takes 4 years. For me at the age of 25 I am really worried if I would be too old by the time I graduate.

2. Apply as graduate student
So I need to take 1 more undergraduate year to study major requirements, like fundamental courses
This option may be better since it saves me from studying foundation courses which I don't know if they would profit me in the future or not.
But I am afraid that as a non-accounting student and without experience in accounting I could not fully understand the inside-outs of graduate course

I think I am already old so I want to learn something that will assist me better for my future as an accountant. After graduate I want to be able to work.
If you by chance see this, please give me some advices. Which program should help me the best to be a professional accountant.
Thank u all very much. I appreciate all your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sakura1312 said:
This option may be better since it saves me from studying foundation courses which I don't know if they would profit me in the future or not.
But I am afraid that as a non-accounting student and without experience in accounting I could not fully understand the inside-outs of graduate course

Maybe since I've added some bold face you can see where the concern is with a route like this. Foundation courses are foundational for a reason. The only real question here is whether your undergraduate program has given you sufficient preparation for the accounting program. It would be okay to skip an introductory economics class if you've already taken that. If you haven't, you're likely not going to qualify for any of the more advanced work anyway.

I'm not sure what you'd be too old for. Sure there might be other younger graduates, but I think the real major ageism concerns come in for people who are looking for positions when they are close to retirement age. If you're 59 and looking for a new job, even though legally you can't be discriminated against, people on hiring committees will question how many viable years you have left, and whether you're just looking for a comfy job until retirement. There really isn't a lot of difference in the professional world for younger people. Relevant experience is usually what stratifies candidates.

In the end, if you find a path that gets you into a career that you want, then take it. In fours years, you're going to turn 29 anyway.

Hi Choppy,
Thank you so very much for your advice. It's really a relief
Please excuse me for my bad english expression.
With the foundation courses I mean the general education courses in first or second year, not the major foundation like economics, statistics or basic accounting...
Would you mind explaining a little about the GE courses? Are they helpful?
I got my first degree in my country so the education is kinda different. GE in my country are not really general knowledge that everyone should know but old and impractical doctrines.
I want to take the undergrats because I want to build a solid foundation as I do not have experiences in other place, but parents and everyone I've asked said I would waste my time for studying these GE, which has made me worried.

Okay, I understand. You want to jump right into professional training, but since you've already completed an undergraduate degree complete with general education courses, you would like to avoid doing those as part of returning to school. That understandable. Electives are there to give a person a well-rounded education. They're important, but at some point they're not longer rouding out your education.

Really you just need to find a program that suits your needs. I know that there are nursing degrees that are essentially "after" degrees, where they condense the degree into two years for people who already have an undergraduate degree. I wouldn't be surprised if there's something like this for accounting and that might be just what you're looking for. The issue with jumping into a master's degree is really just one of whether or not you are adequately prepared. The last thing you want is to get in and fail out.

Choppy said:
Electives are there to give a person a well-rounded education.
Dear Sir
You just answered my question.
Thank you so very much for your time and kind consideration! I've got my decision and will appreciate your advices all my way in college.

1. Should I take graduate or undergraduate in Accounting?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and current level of education. If you already have a bachelor's degree in a relevant field and want to advance your career in accounting, a graduate degree may be beneficial. However, if you are just starting out in the field and have no prior education in accounting, an undergraduate degree may be a better option.

2. What are the differences between a graduate and undergraduate degree in Accounting?

A graduate degree in accounting typically focuses on advanced concepts and specialized areas such as taxation, auditing, and financial reporting. It also requires more credits and a thesis or research project. Undergraduate degrees, on the other hand, provide a broad overview of accounting principles and typically require fewer credits.

3. Will a graduate degree in Accounting lead to a higher salary?

In most cases, yes. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, individuals with a graduate degree in accounting earn a higher median salary compared to those with just an undergraduate degree. However, many factors such as job experience and location can also impact salary.

4. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree in Accounting?

The length of time to complete a graduate degree in accounting can vary depending on the program and whether you attend full-time or part-time. On average, it takes about 2 years to complete a master's degree in accounting.

5. Can I work while pursuing a graduate degree in Accounting?

Yes, many graduate programs in accounting are designed for working professionals and offer flexible schedules or online options. However, it may be more challenging to balance work and school, so it's important to carefully consider your time management skills before committing to a graduate program.