1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I use this recommendation?

1. Dec 3, 2006 #1
    So i'm preparing the final stages for my grad apps and I need to decide what recommendation letters to send. They all require 3, but the problem is I didn't really get to know all the professors in my department that well so only 2 of them are from a professor who knows me, the third would be somewhat weaker I think. The thing is, I also have a recommendation that would be stronger, from another source (a state senator). The only thing is that it is not particularly physics related... would it be OK to use this as my 3rd recommendation, or should I stick to only physics professors?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2006 #2
    if you've got two letters from physics people, then a third from a state senator would be pretty good I think.

4. Dec 3, 2006 #3
    Critical to this too is: what schools are you applying to? Typically, the most competitive grad programs look for at least three strong research letters (some programs even want FOUR letters), but if you don't have that, being interesting in such a manner would help... and if it is stronger than a lukewarm physics letter, give it a try.

5. Dec 3, 2006 #4
    I have a related question. I will be applying for physics grad school in fall 07. At this point, I think I can two strong letters from physics profs, and two strong letters from math profs. The standard for most schools seems to be three letters. Should I include 2 strong letters from physics profs and 1 from a math prof, or should I have all 3 letters from physics profs, where one of the letters might not be strong?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  6. Dec 3, 2006 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why not send all four?! :surprised

7. Dec 6, 2006 #6
    I would choose your strongest letters. 2 physics and 1 math seems a good balance (and esp. good if you want to do theory).

8. Dec 6, 2006 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Send all four!

Is it that hard?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?