1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Should I work at a machine lab as a Physics student?

1. May 31, 2016 #1
    I have a machine lab at my university and I have heard that if you want to be an experimental Physicist, then it's a good idea to get some experience in the Machine Shop for it would help not only your skills, but also your CV when you apply for grad school. Is it so?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2016 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you are so inclined, developing some machine skills is great. When I was a graduate student we were often encouraged to take part in workshops that the machine shop put on. If nothing else, this can help to give you an idea of what's possible to build in order to conduct your experiments and the process that's involved.

It probably wouldn't trump getting direct research experience if you have to make a choice. But it will certainly be helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted