Should my second major to physics be programming or math?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision of attending graduate school in physics and the potential for a double major in either computer programming or applied math. Both subjects are deemed important for physics, with programming being essential for calculations and applied math necessary for understanding. While some professors may argue that programming is not crucial, the speaker disagrees and recommends taking both subjects in undergrad or learning one on their own. Ultimately, the decision should be based on the individual's comfort level and ability to learn each subject.
astroman707
I’m planning on attending graduate school for physics. My interest is currently in cosmology and astrophysics, but I’m keeping an open mind. I’d like to be prepared in case I choose another field, or go into private sector instead of academia.

I’ve decided I want to double major in my undergrad, and I’m torn between what to take with physics: computer programming, or applied math.

Which one would benefit me the most?
Any general insight into this topic is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both subjects are very important for physics. Whichever field you go to, you will need programming, while you will need applied maths to understand physics. I have heard some professors saying that programming is not very essential, but I would like to contradict them. For example, I cannot even think of doing astronomical calculations without Matlab or any such alternative. I feel both subjects are equally important.

Is it possible to get the syllabus for the programming subject?

If I were you, I would have taken one subject with physics, and learned the other by myself. In my case, I would have taken a second major in maths, because I feel comfortable learning programming at home (in fact, I have learned Matlab, java, html, etc. mostly by myself), and not so comfortable in maths.

What you should take solely depends on your comfort level in the subjects. If you feel you can handle maths on your own and not programming, then you take programming as your second major, and vice-versa.

That's what I had to say. Senior members might give better advice. :smile:

1. Should I choose programming or math as my second major in physics?

It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. Both programming and math are important in the field of physics, so it may be beneficial to have a strong foundation in both. Consider your strengths and which subject you enjoy learning and applying more.

2. Which major would be more useful in a career in physics?

Both programming and math can be useful in a career in physics. If you are interested in research or academia, having a strong math background may be more beneficial. However, if you are interested in developing software or working in industry, programming skills may be more valuable.

3. Is it possible to double major in both programming and math alongside physics?

Yes, it is possible to double major in both programming and math alongside physics. However, it may require careful planning and time management to ensure you can complete all the necessary coursework for each major.

4. Can I pursue a career in programming or math with a degree in physics?

Yes, you can pursue a career in programming or math with a degree in physics. Many employers value the problem-solving and analytical skills that are developed through studying physics, making it a versatile degree for various industries.

5. Will studying programming or math as a second major be too difficult alongside physics?

It may be challenging to balance two majors, but it is not impossible. It is important to stay organized, prioritize your workload, and seek support from professors and classmates when needed. Time management and dedication are key to success in any major combination.