Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Should space exploration be only the developed world’s adventure?

1. Jul 11, 2011 #1
    I had mixed feelings when the first Indian unmanned lunar mission came under sharp criticism, the most common argument was that “should a country with such a poverty rate ,malnutrition and one the lowest per capita GDP really be spending on development of such technologies that are usually done in the in developed world”?
    One of my arguments is that for too long we have depended on the west for sophisticated technologies.
    The developing world cannot endlessly depend on the west when it comes to science and technology .
    There has to be some attempt from the developing world to do something on their own and just buying everything from the west doesn’t do anything good.

There are big social ,economical and political problems but does that mean the government has to simply halt all the scientific research and development programs intended to produce indigenous technologies and focus only on such problems ?Such a move will badly affect the already poor track record of the developing world when comes to developing indigenous technologies and we may never catch up with the west.

Poverty ,malnutrition and other problems cannot be solved overnight, there are policies and projects set up by the government to combat these problems but still it may require decades to happen as it is plagued by inefficient governance and corruption.

what do the critics think the government should do? Distribute free money to all the poor people???
    The poor are not just poor they are also lazy (I know this by personal experience and I can’t tell everything here.)

The primary intentions behind the setting up of ISRO(Indian space research organization) was to reduce the dependence on other countries for launching satellites that forecast weather and locate mineral resources and keep track on forest cover and for television etc..but recently ISRO thought of going a bit further but even then it has spent far less money for the lunar mission than what NASA or ESA or other big organizations would have spent for the same mission.
    ISRO neither has the capability nor the intention to match NASA or the ESA and other big organizations anytime soon, ISRO’s ambitions and capabilities are modest compared to NASA and everything is done at lowest cost possible even then ISRO is not really so unsuccessful.

Comments and opinions will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2011 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Can and should. Simple reason: its cheaper and more efficient.

4. Jul 11, 2011 #3
    I think it's up to the people in these countries to decide what's best for them. I don't think they will ever beat poverty without technology, so they should focus on becoming more advanced.

5. Jul 11, 2011 #4
    :wink:

6. Jul 11, 2011 #5
    First, sorry you are poor. I don't think it's my fault. (I'm not so sorry that you are lazy )
    Do you think that if you were richer you would be less lazy?

7. Jul 12, 2011 #6
    :rofl:I didn't say i am poor( i am from a middle class family) .....what i was trying to say was that there are many people living in slums near the place i live and i was ready to spend some money from own pocket and from my dad's (after his approval)to send some children in these slums to school at least till they pass out of 10th grade but i was just pissed off(it seems they don't want to improve their lives even when they are given a chance).I hope this isn't the case with all the poor out there.

Anyway i would like it if we stick to the topic of "space technology".

8. Jul 12, 2011 #7
    Look at India's regional neighbors - China has taken advantage of its relative stability this century and become a global powerhouse. I think in many ways India is trying to become too Western and not developing their own system, like you've said. So they'll neccessarilly be several decades behind in government-scale technology development as (generally) India is only parroting 'the West'. China, on the otherhand, internalized their pride and has attempted to make their own advances socially and technologically.

I'm not saying we should idolize China's development, but I think it makes a good foil to India's development following behind the US/Euro.

So to answer the question directly: I think that space exploration is a stage of a developing nation. It may occur at different times depending on what model you're using. India, if you consider to be a few decades behind in government-scale tech, is probably about the right time for space exploration. Also, I'd remind that 'developing nation' is a relative term. Every country is developing, it's just a matter of how, etc.

9. Jul 12, 2011 #8
    what you suggest is good provided there is free flow of scientific knowledge from the west to the developing world but it's not happening. Why should the developing world be on the receiving end all the time, when access to certain technologies are denied? on assumption that it will be used for military purposes.

10. Jul 12, 2011 #9

Drakkith

Other than Nuclear technologies, what are you talking about?

11. Jul 12, 2011 #10
    I agree....China is to a certain extent a role model for all the developing countries in several aspects.

12. Jul 12, 2011 #11
    I am talking about all the technologies that may be used in the military not just nuclear,like
    rocket propulsion,cryogenics etc.

13. Jul 12, 2011 #12

Drakkith

I don't see how any of that is being withheld. Other than cutting edge breakthroughs that are possibly classified by the government, all of that is readily available if you can afford the training and technology.

14. Jul 12, 2011 #13

russ_watters

...or patented. Otherwise information is free. Frankly, this all sounds naive and ungrateful. If not for technological proliferation, india would be far behind where it is today.

15. Jul 12, 2011 #14
    No no, i am very grateful for the western world especially Britain for bringing the country to the modern age,i know India would be a little different from countries like Somalia if not for the British.What i want to say is that i don't like it when all we do is buy or borrow instead of developing things on our own,is this not the time to put some native talents to a test and see what India is capable of doing without western aid or supervision?( i know we can't just do everything on our own all of a sudden)

Can you name one country in this world which doesn't mind depending on other countries unless it has no choice at all?

Why is the USA such a successful country it is because it hardly depends on any other country when it comes cutting edge technology. I am not completely against "learning from the west"
    i just want to India cultivate it's own technologies side by side with the "learning from the west "principle.

16. Jul 12, 2011 #15

Drakkith

I understand your point of view shashankac655, but what you are saying doesn't really match up with how the real world works. If your country is behind others in technology and science, you don't need to research "new" stuff that has already been discovered by the US or another country.

17. Jul 12, 2011 #16
    Sorry for my off topic response.
    Your comment just stuck in my craw is all. :)
    I am from a 'poor' family. I am the first ( and as it turns out the only ) member of my family to break out and get an education. I worked eight hours a day, schooled eight hours a day and slept whenever.. just so I could to pay for it all.
    This isn't the case with all the poor out there, from my perspective.

As far as "space technology" goes ... I am SO proud. One of the circuit boards I worked on is still in orbit. A low noise amplifier (LNA) I helped develop. damn.. We had to submit a hundred 'perfect boards' so NASA could send up just two.

This planet is one big basket and holds ALL the eggs of this 'humanity'. ONE big rock can kill it all and I full hardheartedly hope that we humans get off this rock before it happens.
    I don't care who does it. That part does not matter. It needs to be done. So let's do it.

18. Jul 14, 2011 #17
    wow!!!! so think i can get more confidence now ,all these days i had started to think that pursuing a carrier in aerospace engineering is unrealistic for someone from my background since you could do it even after being "poor" i think i can give it a try too,Thanks :biggrin:

19. Jul 14, 2011 #18

Drakkith

Work hard and opportunities will open up for you. I like the old view of: "People make their own luck." Whether that luck is good or bad.

20. Jul 16, 2011 #19
    That is exactly what i want to limit if not put a end to it all of a sudden, developing countries have to learn the art of research and development, by buying "everything" we will not be making full use of the potential of our people when it comes to innovation and ideas,we will be wasting a whole lot of human potential!!!!

Even if we could just buy, i don't really see a clear "transfer of technology policy" that is happening because if technology is transferred we no longer have to buy!! from the west.
    (A good move will be large scale joint research programs on new technologies)
    what you are suggesting is that developing countries shouldn't try to do anything on their own and only the developed world should do that and then we have to buy it,which will ensure good money and jobs for the developed world and i am opposed to that.

Almost any big "technological breakthroughs" that happened in the west during the 20th century was primarily for military purposes during world wars and the Cold war, the governments were putting pressure on scientists to come up with new technologies that will enhance the military capabilities,during this time most of the developing world were colonies of the western powers and this is the real reason why the developing world is lagging behind.
    Now that we are not colonies but independent countries,we will try to depend less and less on the developed world with respect everything from science and technology to economy no matter what criticism we might face.

21. Jul 16, 2011 #20
    I completely agree!!!!!!!:rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook