Should You Adjust Your Thermostat When Leaving Home for Short Periods?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sharonita
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Heat transfer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
sharonita
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
My question is as follows:
If you wsh to save fuel on a cold day. and you're going to leave your house for a half hour or so, should you turn the thermostat down a few degrees, down all the way, or leave it at room temperature.

I said that I would leave it at the same temperature since I'm only leaving for a half hour or so, so by the time I come back the temperature would not have changed much. I should not lower it or higher it because it would be less fuel-efficient and take more energy from the heater to reach the new temperature level.

Any suggestions?
Thanks much, Sharon.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ive heard on the news that you should keep it on, that it actually takes less energy that having to reheat your house. Also close your blinds.

sorry I am not much help, its all i know...