Should You Join Undergraduate Research in Freshman or Sophomore Year?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Kuhan
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Is it a good idea to join undergraduate research in freshman year or sophomore year and why?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


If you can get into a research project early, go for it. It's easier to get into an REU if you've already done research at your own school.
 


Wouldn't experience make it more difficult to get an REU? Since I thought REUs are supposed to be prioritized towards students at lower-tier schools without the resources to perform research at their school so they have a chance to get some experience elsewhere like at an REU
 


As long as the time requirement for the project doesn't require a sacrifice of attention to your coursework then I see no issue. In my opinion, developing good study habits and a strong foundation of knowledge in your first and second year should take priority, though.
 


One sneaky thing to do is try and find a newer professor; they'll have more time for you.

I think the sooner the better too, I found out that I like doing research more than coursework so it gives me something to look forward to.
 


Totally dependent upon institution/individual. Guy I'm working with is extremely flexible.

It depends on the set up too, there is a possibility I'll be getting credit/stipend next semester for research so under those circumstances he'll probably be less lenient.