1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show: Elementary row operations don't affect solution sets

1. Jan 13, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that elementary row operations don't affect solutions sets in linear systems

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    It's pretty easy to come up with a random linear system and perform ERO on them and showing that solutions are not affected, but is there all there is to it? Do I need to show that this works throughout all possible forms of linear systems or will this be known as "proving"?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, to prove this you need to show it for all linear systems of equations.

Do you have any experience of formal proofs?

4. Jan 13, 2017 #3
    I have very little experience of proving statements, especially in LA (I just got through 2 lectures). Could you provide me with a guideline? Thanks!

5. Jan 13, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The key here is that having the same solutions to two sets of equations can be stated as:

##x## is a solution to one system iff it is a solution to the other system.

Does that make sense to you?

6. Jan 13, 2017 #5
    Not really, sorry. Unless you mean that x is a solution to the system if it is a solution to all equations in that system?

7. Jan 13, 2017 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, ##x = (x_1, x_2, \dots ,x_n)## is a solution to the system if it is a solution to all equations in the system

8. Jan 13, 2017 #7
    How could I use this to prove the statement? Do I use a general augmented matrix from a1n to amn to do this?

9. Jan 13, 2017 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Putting things in a matrix only complicates matters. Think of the simplest row operation: exchanging two rows. How could you prove that doesn't change the solutions?

Hint: try to think about it as simply as possible!

10. Jan 13, 2017 #9

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Try to think about the relation between the matrix and the system.

What happens when I exchange 2 rows in the matrix? What system does the new matrix correspond to? Do the original system and the new system have the same solution?

11. Jan 13, 2017 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I agree with @PeroK here -- that bringing in matrices adds unnecessary complication. The original problem statement mentions linear systems (of equations), with no mention of matrices. The questions to consider are these:
    • Does interchanging two equations change the solution?
    • Does replacing an equation by a multiple of itself change the solution?
    • Does replacing one equation by adding a multiple of another equation to the first equation change the solution?

12. Jan 15, 2017 #11
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but are you guys saying that it can be solved as such:

1. Prove that interchanging 2 equations don't affect the solution set,
    2. Show that constant multiples of an equation don't affect its solution,
    3. Show how adding a constant-multiple of eqn 1 to eqn 2 doesn't affect a solution set because we're actually adding the same values to both sides of eqn 2,
    4. Generalise this result across all systems of linear equations?

13. Jan 15, 2017 #12

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but I've tidied this up a bit:

For any system of linear equations:

1. Show that interchanging any two equations doesn't affect the solution set,
    2. Show that multiplying any equation by a non-zero constant doesn't t affect the solution set.
    3. Show that adding a constant-multiple of any equation to any other equation doesn't affect the solution set.

14. Jan 15, 2017 #13
    Alright, thanks a lot guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted