1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show [itex]\phi[/itex][itex]\circ[/itex]f is Riemann integrable

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f:[a, b][itex]\rightarrow[/itex][m, M] be a Riemann integrable function and let
    [itex]\phi[/itex]:[m, M][itex]\rightarrow[/itex]R be a continuously differentable function
    such that [itex]\phi[/itex]'(t) [itex]\geq[/itex]0 [itex]\forall[/itex]t (i.e. [itex]\phi[/itex]
    is monotone increasing). Using only Reimann lemma, show that the composition [itex]\phi[/itex][itex]\circ[/itex]f is Riemann integrable.

2. Relevant equations
    Riemann lemma - f: [a, b] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] is Riemann integrable iff for any [itex]\epsilon[/itex]>0 [itex]\exists[/itex]a partition P such that U(P, f) - L(P, f) < [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

Function f is Riemann integrable hence it is bounded by [m, M]. Thus [itex]\forall[/itex]
    x[itex]\in[/itex][a, b],lf(x)l [itex]\leq[/itex] max{m, M}.

Also, since the domain of [itex]\phi[/itex] is compact and the function is monotone and increasing, by the Extreme Value Theorem, it achieves a maximum and a minimum on [m, M], hence [itex]\phi[/itex] is also bounded. Thus, [itex]\phi[/itex]((f(a)) and [itex]\phi[/itex](f(b)) is bounded by some constant, K.

Also know since f is Riemann integrable that there exists a partition P such that
    U(P, f) - L (P, f)< [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

We must show U(P,[itex]\phi[/itex](f(x))) - L(P, [itex]\phi[/itex](f(x)))<[itex]\epsilon[/itex].

I think I have most of the major pieces, can someone suggest how to put it together?
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why don't you start by writing out the definition of

[tex]U(P,f)-L(P,f)[/tex]

4. Apr 24, 2012 #3
    The upper Riemann sum = (i=1[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]n) [itex]\sum[/itex]MiΔxi where Δxi=[xi-xi-1]

The lower Riemann sum = i=(1[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]n) [itex]\sum[/itex]miΔxi where Δxi=[xi-xi-1]

Mi=sup[f(xi): x[itex]\in[/itex][xi, xi-1]
    mi=inf[f(xi): x[itex]\in[/itex][xi, xi-1]

5. Apr 24, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, let [itex]c_i[/itex] (resp. [itex]d_i[/itex]) be the element of [itex][x_i,x_{i+1}][/itex], where f reaches his maximum (resp. minimum).

We know that

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n (f(c_i)-f(d_i)) \Delta x_i<\varepsilon[/tex]

Now, can you prove that [itex]\varphi\circ f[/itex] also reaches his maximum (resp. minimum) in [itex]c_i[/itex] (resp. [itex]d_i[/itex])??

If that were true, then we have to do something with

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n (\varphi (f(c_i))-\varphi(f(d_i))) \Delta x_i<\varepsilon[/tex]

6. Apr 24, 2012 #5
    Can't we just say that since [itex]\phi[/itex] is monotone increasing, that we know that [itex]\phi[/itex](f(ci)) (resp. [itex]\phi[/itex](f(di))) is where [itex]\phi[/itex] reaches its maximum (resp. minimum)?

Thus, 0[itex]\leq[/itex]l [itex]\phi[/itex](f(ci) - [itex]\phi[/itex](f(di)) l [itex]\leq[/itex]2K?

7. Apr 24, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't see where this comes from or why it is necessary.

But, basically, we have something of the form

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n {(\varphi(f(c_i))-\varphi(f(d_i)))\Delta x_i}[/tex]

and you must associate this with

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n {(f(c_i)-f(d_i))\Delta x_i}[/tex]

Do you have any result that associates [itex]\varphi(f(c_i))-\varphi(f(d_i))[/itex] with [itex]f(c_i)-f(d_i)[/itex]?? (use that [itex]\varphi[/itex] is differentiable)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook