1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that A and its transpose have the same eigenvalues

1. Dec 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that ##A## and ##A^T## have the same eigenvalues.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If they have the same eigenvalues, then ##Ax = \lambda x## iff ##A^T x = \lambda x##. In other words, we have to show that ##|A - \lambda I| = 0## iff ##|A^T - \lambda I| = 0##. From the properties of transpose, we see that ##(A - \lambda I)^T = A^T - \lambda I##. It's a property of transposes that ##A^T## is invertible iff ##A## is also invertible. So we have shown that ##A - \lambda I## is invertible iff ##A^T - \lambda I## is also invertible. So this shows that they have the same eigenvalues.

I think that this is the correct solution, but I am a little confused about the beginning part of the proof. Does this imply that A and its transpose also have the same eigenvectors? Or do they have the same eigenvlues but different eigenvectors?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

You don't need to consider invertibility here. And you have already said everything you need. Just clean it up a little.
    What are the eigenvalues of ##A##?
    What are the eigenvalues of ##A^T##?
    And how are ##\det B## and ##\det B^T## related for any matrix ##B##? (Esp. for ##B=A-\lambda I##.)

4. Dec 9, 2016 #3
    ##det(A) = det(A^T)## for all square ##A##. So we have that ##det(A - \lambda I) = det((A - \lambda I)^T) = det(A^T - \lambda I)##

5. Dec 9, 2016 #4
    So as a last note do ##A## and ##A^T## also have the same eigenvectors?

6. Dec 10, 2016 #5

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted