1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that A is an orthogonal matrix

1. Jul 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If {aj} and {bj} are two separate sets of orthonormal basis sets, and are related by

ai = [tex]\sum[/tex]jnAijbj

Show that A is an orthogonal matrix

2. Relevant equations

Provided above.

3. The attempt at a solution

Too much latex needed to show what I tried, but basically I considered the properties of an orthogonal matrix: AAT = I and considered which elements would multiply and sum to give the 1's and 0's of the identity matrix.

I then considered the fact that aj.ak = o if j and k are different and 1 if they are the same, and the same for the vectors bj.

Then I thought of the property of preserving norms, but can't see how to connect it to this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

More to the point is that an orthonormal matrix is a matrix whose columns (or rows), thought of as vectors, are orthonormal- that is, each has length 1 and any two are orthogonal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook