1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

T/F: Orthogonal matrix has eigenvalues +1, -1

1. Oct 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a 3 x 3 matrix A is diagonalizable with eigenvalues -1, and +1, then it is an orthogonal matrix.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I feel like this question is false, since the true statement is that if a matrix A is orthogonal, then it has a determinant of +1 or -1, which has nothing to do with diagonalozation. However, I don't see how to prove this rigorously. Would the best way just be to search for a counter-example?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What do you know about the eigenvectors of an orthogonal matrix?

4. Oct 27, 2016 #3
    I can't seem to recall anything about the eigenvectors of an orthogonal matrix... I looked it up and couldn't find anything either.

5. Oct 27, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

How is an orthogonal matrix defined? And how do eigenvalues behave in that equation?

6. Oct 28, 2016 #5
    An orthogonal matrix is a square matrix such that ##A^{T}A= I##. I don't see how this can be used to analyze its eigenvalues. I can only see that detA = 1 or -1... But those aren't eigenvalues.

7. Oct 28, 2016 #6

fresh_42

Firstly, we have to show (or know), that eigenvalues of ##A^ {T}## are the same as those of ##A##.
    This is done by the equation ##\det (M)=\det(M^T)## and therewith ##\det(\lambda I -A^T)=\det((\lambda I-A^T)^T)= \det(\lambda I^T - (A^T)^T)=\det(\lambda I - A)##

Secondly, for an eigenvector ##x## of ##A## with an eigenvalue ##\lambda## what do we get from ##Ax = \lambda x\,##?

Now what does it mean for ##A## to be diagonalizable, and what must be the values of this diagonal?

8. Oct 28, 2016 #7
    If A is diagonlizable, then it can be represented in the form A = PDP-1, where P is a matrix of linearly independent eigenvectors of A, and D is a diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues of A on its diagonal. But I'm not seeing how this definition helps me.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by what do we get from the ##Ax = \lambda x\##. The only thing I see to do with that might be to multiply both sides by the transpose of A and see what happens...

9. Oct 28, 2016 #8

fresh_42

I meant the consideration of a orthogonal matrix ##A##. Being orthogonal leads to ##x=I\, x=A^TA\, x = A^T(A(x))=\lambda^2 x## for an eigenvector ##x## of the (orthogonal) matrix ##A## to the eigenvalue ##\lambda##. Thus ##\lambda^2 = 1## and over the real numbers this means ##\lambda \in \{-1,+1\}##.

So orthogonal matrices must have eigenvalues ##\pm 1##.

Now we have the opposite situation: The eigenvalues are given as ##\pm 1##, which is a necessary condition. Checked.
    Then we have that ##A## is diagonalizable, i.e. ##A=PDP^{-1}## for some matrix ##P##.
    The diagonal entries of ##D## also have to be ##\pm 1## by the given condition, which means ##D=D^T=D^{-1}## and ##A=A^{-1}##.
    Thus to show ##A^TA=I## is equivalent to show ##A^T=A## or ##A^T=A^{-1}##.

Here is where I'm stuck. To solve for the corresponding linear equations is rather unpleasant. (I'll answer, if I find the trick.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted