T/F: Orthogonal matrix has eigenvalues +1, -1

In summary: If a matrix A is diagonalizable with eigenvalues -1, and +1, then it is an orthogonal matrix. This is done by the equation ##\det(M)=\det(M^T)## and therewith ##\det(\lambda I -A^T)=\det((\lambda I-A^T)^T)= \det(\lambda I^T - (A^T)^T)=\det(\lambda I - A)## Secondly, for an eigenvector ##x## of ##A## with an eigenvalue ##\lambda## what do we get from ##Ax = \lambda x\,##? Now what does it mean for ##
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

If a 3 x 3 matrix A is diagonalizable with eigenvalues -1, and +1, then it is an orthogonal matrix.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like this question is false, since the true statement is that if a matrix A is orthogonal, then it has a determinant of +1 or -1, which has nothing to do with diagonalozation. However, I don't see how to prove this rigorously. Would the best way just be to search for a counter-example?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the eigenvectors of an orthogonal matrix?

I can't seem to recall anything about the eigenvectors of an orthogonal matrix... I looked it up and couldn't find anything either.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I can't seem to recall anything about the eigenvectors of an orthogonal matrix... I looked it up and couldn't find anything either.
How is an orthogonal matrix defined? And how do eigenvalues behave in that equation?

fresh_42 said:
How is an orthogonal matrix defined? And how do eigenvalues behave in that equation?
An orthogonal matrix is a square matrix such that ##A^{T}A= I##. I don't see how this can be used to analyze its eigenvalues. I can only see that detA = 1 or -1... But those aren't eigenvalues.

Mr Davis 97 said:
An orthogonal matrix is a square matrix such that ##A^{T}A= I##. I don't see how this can be used to analyze its eigenvalues. I can only see that detA = 1 or -1... But those aren't eigenvalues.
Firstly, we have to show (or know), that eigenvalues of ##A^ {T}## are the same as those of ##A##.
This is done by the equation ##\det (M)=\det(M^T)## and therewith ##\det(\lambda I -A^T)=\det((\lambda I-A^T)^T)= \det(\lambda I^T - (A^T)^T)=\det(\lambda I - A)##

Secondly, for an eigenvector ##x## of ##A## with an eigenvalue ##\lambda## what do we get from ##Ax = \lambda x\,##?

Now what does it mean for ##A## to be diagonalizable, and what must be the values of this diagonal?

fresh_42 said:
Firstly, we have to show (or know), that eigenvalues of ##A^ {T}## are the same as those of ##A##.
This is done by the equation ##\det (M)=\det(M^T)## and therewith ##\det(\lambda I -A^T)=\det((\lambda I-A^T)^T)= \det(\lambda I^T - (A^T)^T)=\det(\lambda I - A)##

Secondly, for an eigenvector ##x## of ##A## with an eigenvalue ##\lambda## what do we get from ##Ax = \lambda x\,##?

Now what does it mean for ##A## to be diagonalizable, and what must be the values of this diagonal?
If A is diagonlizable, then it can be represented in the form A = PDP-1, where P is a matrix of linearly independent eigenvectors of A, and D is a diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues of A on its diagonal. But I'm not seeing how this definition helps me.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by what do we get from the ##Ax = \lambda x\##. The only thing I see to do with that might be to multiply both sides by the transpose of A and see what happens...

I meant the consideration of a orthogonal matrix ##A##. Being orthogonal leads to ##x=I\, x=A^TA\, x = A^T(A(x))=\lambda^2 x## for an eigenvector ##x## of the (orthogonal) matrix ##A## to the eigenvalue ##\lambda##. Thus ##\lambda^2 = 1## and over the real numbers this means ##\lambda \in \{-1,+1\}##.

So orthogonal matrices must have eigenvalues ##\pm 1##.

Now we have the opposite situation: The eigenvalues are given as ##\pm 1##, which is a necessary condition. Checked.
Then we have that ##A## is diagonalizable, i.e. ##A=PDP^{-1}## for some matrix ##P##.
The diagonal entries of ##D## also have to be ##\pm 1## by the given condition, which means ##D=D^T=D^{-1}## and ##A=A^{-1}##.
Thus to show ##A^TA=I## is equivalent to show ##A^T=A## or ##A^T=A^{-1}##.

Here is where I'm stuck. To solve for the corresponding linear equations is rather unpleasant. (I'll answer, if I find the trick.)

Likes Mr Davis 97

What is an orthogonal matrix?

An orthogonal matrix is a square matrix where the columns and rows are all orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other. This means that the dot product of any two columns or rows is equal to zero, and the dot product of a column or row with itself is equal to one.

What are eigenvalues?

Eigenvalues are the values that satisfy the equation Av = λv, where A is a square matrix, v is a vector, and λ is a scalar. They represent the scaling factor of the vector when multiplied by the matrix A.

Can an orthogonal matrix have eigenvalues other than +1 and -1?

No, an orthogonal matrix can only have eigenvalues of +1 and -1. This is because the dot product of any two columns or rows is either equal to zero or equal to one, and the dot product of a column or row with itself is always equal to one. Thus, when we solve for the eigenvalues, we will always get +1 and -1 as the solutions.

What is the significance of an orthogonal matrix having eigenvalues of +1 and -1?

Having eigenvalues of +1 and -1 means that all the vectors in the matrix are either stretched or flipped in the same direction. This makes the matrix useful for various mathematical applications, such as rotations and reflections, as it preserves the lengths and angles of the vectors.

How do you calculate the eigenvalues of an orthogonal matrix?

To calculate the eigenvalues of an orthogonal matrix, we solve the characteristic equation det(A - λI) = 0, where A is the matrix, λ is the eigenvalue, and I is the identity matrix. This will result in the eigenvalues +1 and -1, as the only possible solutions.