1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that a Sequence is monotonically decreasing

1. Dec 9, 2014 #1
    • Member warned about deleting template parts
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was wondering how I would go about showing that (an) is monotone decreasing given that an = 1/√n.

I believe I have to show an ≥ an+1, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, PF rules require you to make a start on your own. What do you know about the magnitudes of ##\sqrt{n}## and ##\sqrt{n+1}##?

4. Dec 9, 2014 #3
    I know that the magnitude of ##\sqrt{n+1}## is larger than that of ##\sqrt{n}##. Therefore I would assume that the opposite would be true for the magnitude of their reciprocals which would make an≥an+1 as required, however I'm not sure how to write this in a more coherent way.

5. Dec 9, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

(1) [itex]\sqrt{n + 1} > \sqrt{n}[/itex].
    (2) If [itex]n > 0[/itex] then dividing both sides by [itex]\sqrt{n} > 0[/itex] preserves the inequality. Hence [itex]\frac{\sqrt{n + 1} }{\sqrt{n}} > 1[/itex].
    (3) Dividing both sides by ... > 0 preserves the inequality. Hence ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted