Show that an orthonormal(ON) sequence is also a ON-basis in a Hilbert Space

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
gothlev
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
1. Problem description
Let [itex](e_n)_{n=1}^{\infty}[/itex] be an orthonormal(ON) basis for H (Hilbert Space). Assume that [itex](f_n)_{n=1}^{\infty}[/itex] is an ON-sequence in H that satisfies [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} ||e_n-f_n|| < 1[/itex]. Show that [itex](f_n)_{n=1}^{\infty}[/itex] is an ON-basis for H.

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution


Somehow if it can be shown that [tex](f_n)_{n=1}^\infty[/tex] is an complete ON-sequence it can be concluded that [tex](f_n)_{n=1}^\infty[/tex] is a ON-basis for H. I tried to make use of Parseval's formula and also expanding the sum [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty ||e_n-f_n|| < 1[/tex] with the rules for inner products, but it did not really get me anywhere. Since I can not really think of anything else I would need someone to point me in the right direction. I might be missing something really obvious, but can not really see it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You know that [tex](f_n)[/tex] is an orthonormal sequence, so the only way it can fail to be an orthonormal basis is if the closed subspace [tex]V[/tex] generated by [tex](f_n)[/tex] is not the entire space [tex]H[/tex]. Think about how vectors in the orthogonal complement [tex]V^\perp = H \ominus V[/tex] expand in terms of [tex](e_n)[/tex] and how that relates to the [tex]f_n[/tex].