Show that commutativity is a structural property

In summary: Therefore, ##H## is abelian.In summary, if two groups are isomorphic, then one is abelian if and only if the other is abelian. This can be proven by showing that any two arbitrary elements in the isomorphic group commute, which is true because the isomorphism covers all elements of the group.
Mr Davis 97
I am trying to prove that if two groups are isomorphic then one is abelian iff the other is abelian. This is a simple task, but I am a little confused about how to write it up.

Suppose that ##\phi : G \to H## is an isomorphism. Let ##a,b \in G##. Then ##ab = ba \implies \phi (a) \phi (b) = \phi (b) \phi (a)##. Here is where my question lies. To show that ##H## is abelian, I need to show that any two arbitrary elements commute. Why does ##\phi (a) \phi (b) = \phi (b) \phi (a)## tell me that any two arbitrary elements of ##H## commute? Does it have something to with ##\phi## being a bijection?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
I am trying to prove that if two groups are isomorphic then one is abelian iff the other is abelian. This is a simple task, but I am a little confused about how to write it up.

Suppose that ##\phi : G \to H## is an isomorphism. Let ##a,b \in G##. Then ##ab = ba \implies \phi (a) \phi (b) = \phi (b) \phi (a)##. Here is where my question lies. To show that ##H## is abelian, I need to show that any two arbitrary elements commute. Why does ##\phi (a) \phi (b) = \phi (b) \phi (a)## tell me that any two arbitrary elements of ##H## commute? Does it have something to with ##\phi## being a bijection?
Yes. ##\phi## covers all elements of ##H##:
##ab = ba \Longleftrightarrow \phi (a) \phi (b) = \phi (b) \phi (a) \Longleftrightarrow a'b'=b'a'##
You simply already have written all elements of ##H## since ##H=\operatorname{im} \phi = \{\,\phi(a)\,|\,a\in G\,\}##.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is commutativity?

Commutativity is a mathematical property that refers to the ability to change the order of operations without changing the end result. In other words, the order in which two operations are performed does not affect the final outcome.

2. Why is commutativity important in mathematics?

Commutativity is important because it allows us to simplify and manipulate mathematical expressions more easily. It also helps us to identify patterns and relationships between different mathematical operations.

3. How is commutativity related to structural properties?

Structural properties refer to the properties of an object or system that remain unchanged even when the object is manipulated or transformed in some way. Commutativity is a structural property because it remains true even when the order of operations is changed.

4. What is an example of a commutative operation?

Addition is an example of a commutative operation. For example, 2 + 3 is equal to 3 + 2, and the order in which the numbers are added does not affect the final result.

5. How is commutativity demonstrated in mathematics?

Commutativity can be demonstrated using equations or mathematical proofs. For example, a proof can show that changing the order of operations in a mathematical expression does not change the final result, thus demonstrating commutativity.