1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving associativity is a structural property

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give a proof for the operation * is commutative being a structural property.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    * is commutative
    I know this means that I have to show (a*b)*c=a*(b*c)
    I'm not sure where to go now

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2
    What is the definition of *, and what do you mean by "structural property"?

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're confusing "commutative" and "associative".

5. Feb 9, 2009 #4
    oops, I menat to say associative. So, is that the right first step?

6. Feb 9, 2009 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's no way to tell if you're going in the right direction until you answer Citran's question. What is the definition of "structural property"?

7. Feb 9, 2009 #6
    A structural property of a binary structure is one that must be shared by any isomorphic structure.

8. Feb 9, 2009 #7
    * is just any arbitrary operation

9. Feb 9, 2009 #8
    Okay, so you want to show that associativity of a binary operation is preserved under isomorphisms. That is, if [itex](S,\ \ast)[/itex] and [itex](T,\ \star)[/itex] are isomorphic binary structures, and [itex]\ast[/itex] is associative, then [itex]\star[/itex] is also associative. Is that right?

If so, then what you will want to do is start by letting [itex](S,\ \ast)[/itex] and [itex](T,\ \star)[/itex] be arbitrary isomorphic binary structures with an isomorphism [itex]\varphi: S \rightarrow T[/itex] between them. Then assume that [itex]\ast[/itex] is associative, and use that and the isomorphism to show that [itex]\star[/itex] is associative.

10. Feb 9, 2009 #9
    That makes a lot more sense to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook