1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that Euler-Mascheroni sequence is decreasing &monotonic

Tags:
  1. Jan 31, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    tn=1+1/2+1/3+...+1/n - ln(n)
    a.) Interpret tn - tn+1= [ln(n+1)-ln(n)] - 1/(n+1) as a difference of areas to show that tn - tn+1 > 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have not started working on part b) yet, because so far I am stuck on part a). I just simplified a bit and got ln(1+1/n)>1/(n+1). Not sure how to prove that the left side is bigger than the right.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you consider an integral?
    There are other methods, too, depending on the equations you got for the logarithm.

4. Jan 31, 2015 #3
    Is it as easy as just integrating both sides? I get xln(1+1/x)+ln(1+x)>ln(1+x). The left side is always greater since xln(1+1/x) is always greater than zero for n>1. Is that enough to prove it?

5. Jan 31, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Integrate both sides with respect to what?

[ln(n+1)-ln(n)] looks like an integration result.

6. Jan 31, 2015 #5
    Woops those x's up there should be n's. But with dn. I can't see what integral would have resulted in [ln(n+1)-ln(n)] though. Integrating 1/n gets me ln(n), but integrating ln(n) does not get me ln(n+1).

7. Jan 31, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

If you integrate from where to where?

8. Jan 31, 2015 #7
    From the beginning of the sequence, 1, to the end, n.

9. Jan 31, 2015 #8
    What if you integrate it from n to n+1?
    Also can you think of the area of rectangle formed with height 1/(n+1) and width (n+1)-n? Just compare them on the graph of f(x)=1/x

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted