Show that f such that f(x+cy)=f(x)+cf(y) is continuous

In summary: I totally forgot that!Alternatively, consider ##f(a + h)## as ##h \rightarrow 0##.I actually considered this when I proved the continuity in ##\mathbb{R}## assuming that ##f## is continuous at 0. I've obtained:\begin{align*}\lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(h+a)&=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}(f(h)+f(a))\\ &=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(h)+\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(a) \
Bptrhp
Homework Statement
Let f:R→R be a function such that f(x+cy)=f(x)+cf(y), ∀x,y∈R, ∀c∈R. Show that f is continuous.
Relevant Equations
f(x+cy)=f(x)+cf(y), ∀x,y∈R, ∀c∈R
We need to show that ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a}f(x)=f(a), \forall a \in \mathbb{R}## .
At first, I tried to show that f is continuous at 0 and from there I would show for all a∈R. But now, I think this may not even be true. I only got that f(0)=0. I'm very confused, I appreciate any help!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
##f## is continuous at ##0##, and from there you can work with the translation ##x\longmapsto x+a##. For continuity at ##0## consider ##f(1/n)=1/n f(1).##

Likes Delta2
fresh_42 said:
f is continuous at 0, and from there you can work with the translation x⟼x+a. For continuity at 0 consider f(1/n)=1/nf(1).
I already managed to prove continuity for all ##a\in\mathbb{R}## assuming that ##f## is continuous at ##0##, but I can't see how to prove continuity for 0 considering ##f(1/n)=1/nf(1)##. Is it something related to sequences?

Bptrhp said:
I already managed to prove continuity for all ##a\in\mathbb{R}## assuming that ##f## is continuous at ##0##, but I can't see how to prove continuity for 0 considering ##f(1/n)=1/nf(1)##. Is it something related to sequences?
What about trying ##x = a + h##, where ##x \rightarrow a## is equivalent to ##h \rightarrow 0##?

Likes vela and Bptrhp
Bptrhp said:
I would take the epsilon-delta definition, or just take an arbitrary sequence ##x_n \longrightarrow 0##. The sequence ##1/n \longrightarrow 0## was meant as an example to help you find the clue. The key is the following equation:
$$
|f(x_n)-f(a)|=|x_n\cdot f(1)-a\cdot f(1)|=|x_n-a|\cdot |f(1)|
$$
where you can immediately read the epsilons and deltas from.

Likes Bptrhp
To remember the definitions, I use to think about the following picture, which isn't allow to happen on a continuous function:
\begin{align*}
\text{______________}&\\[14pt]
&\text{______________}
\end{align*}
Coming closer on the ##x-## axis doesn't allow a gap on the ##y-##axis.

It's actually easier to compute a general solution for f, than to prove that f is continuous.
if you substitute x =0, y = u, c = 1/u, you get f(u) = (f(1)- f(0)) u.
These are obviously all continuous.

Likes Delta2
@willem2 That argument only works when ##u\neq 0##, so it doesn't get you around needing to prove continuity at ##0.##

Edit: Although, this is easy to fix. Your expression shows that the limit is zero, and putting ##x=y=0,c\neq 0## shows that ##f(0)=0.##

Last edited:
Likes Bptrhp
fresh_42 said:
I would take the epsilon-delta definition, or just take an arbitrary sequence ##x_n \longrightarrow 0##. The sequence ##1/n \longrightarrow 0## was meant as an example to help you find the clue. The key is the following equation:
$$
|f(x_n)-f(a)|=|x_n\cdot f(1)-a\cdot f(1)|=|x_n-a|\cdot |f(1)|
$$
where you can immediately read the epsilons and deltas from.

Does that mean the continuity ##\forall a \in \mathbb{R}## can be shown by epsilon-delta definition without showing continuity at ##0## first?

My attempt:
Given ##\epsilon >0##, take ##\delta = \dfrac{\epsilon } {|f(1)|}>0##, so that for any ##x\in\mathbb{R},|x-a|<\delta##, we have
##|f(x)-f(a)|=|x\cdot f(1)-a\cdot f(1)|=|x-a|\cdot |f(1)|<\delta\cdot |f(1)|=\epsilon##.

I feel like I'm missing something...

Bptrhp said:
Does that mean the continuity ##\forall a \in \mathbb{R}## can be shown by epsilon-delta definition without showing continuity at ##0## first?
Yes.
My attempt:
Given ##\epsilon >0##, take ##\delta = \dfrac{\epsilon } {|f(1)|}>0##, so that for any ##x\in\mathbb{R},|x-a|<\delta##, we have
##|f(x)-f(a)|=|x\cdot f(1)-a\cdot f(1)|=|x-a|\cdot |f(1)|<\delta\cdot |f(1)|=\epsilon##.

Why? Linear functions are always continuous (maybe some weird topologies apart).

Bptrhp said:

My attempt:

... you need to take care of the case when ##f(1) = 0##.

Alternatively, consider ##f(a + h)## as ##h \rightarrow 0##.

• Informative
Likes Bptrhp and vela
My initial thought was to use the approach @PeroK has suggested, yet the rest of you are taking more complicated approaches. Is there some subtlety I'm missing here?

Likes Bptrhp and PeroK
PeroK said:
... you need to take care of the case when ##f(1) = 0##.
I totally forgot that!

PeroK said:
Alternatively, consider ##f(a + h)## as ##h \rightarrow 0##.
I actually considered this when I proved the continuity in ##\mathbb{R}## assuming that ##f## is continuous at 0. I've obtained:

\begin{align*}
\lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(h+a)&=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}(f(h)+f(a))\\
&=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(h)+\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(a) \quad (because\, both\, limits\, exist)\\
&=0+f(a)\\
&=f(a).
\end{align*}
But how should I use ##f(a+h)## as ##h\rightarrow 0## to prove continuity at ##0##? In this case, we can't assume the limit of the sum is the sum of the limits, right?

Try ##x = a+h = a+h \cdot 1##.

Bptrhp said:
I totally forgot that!I actually considered this when I proved the continuity in ##\mathbb{R}## assuming that ##f## is continuous at 0. I've obtained:

\begin{align*}
\lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(h+a)&=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}(f(h)+f(a))\\
&=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(h)+\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(a) \quad (because\, both\, limits\, exist)\\
&=0+f(a)\\
&=f(a).
\end{align*}
But how should I use ##f(a+h)## as ##h\rightarrow 0## to prove continuity at ##0##? In this case, we can't assume the limit of the sum is the sum of the limits, right?
What about simply:
$$\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(a + h) = \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}(f(a)+hf(1))= f(a) + f(1)\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}(h) = f(a)$$

Likes Bptrhp
Now I get it, I was really making things more complicated than they really are! Thanks a lot!

Likes fresh_42 and PeroK
Not my sort of thing but I ask doesn't f(x+cy)=f(x)+cf(y) if true for all y imply that if f(x) is discontinuous anywhere it is discontinuous everywhere?
Is this true and is it relevant?

epenguin said:
Not my sort of thing but I ask doesn't f(x+cy)=f(x)+cf(y) if true for all y imply that if f(x) is discontinuous anywhere it is discontinuous everywhere?
Is this true and is it relevant?
I think this is only true if ##f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)##. If I understood correctly, the fact that ##f(cy)=cf(y)## makes the function continuous, but I'm not sure...

Likes epenguin

1. What is the purpose of showing that f(x+cy)=f(x)+cf(y) is continuous?

The purpose of showing this is to prove that the function f satisfies the property of linearity, which is an important concept in mathematics and physics. This property states that the function's output changes proportionally to its input, making it a useful tool for modeling real-world phenomena.

2. How do you show that f(x+cy)=f(x)+cf(y) is continuous?

To show that f(x+cy)=f(x)+cf(y) is continuous, we use the definition of continuity, which states that a function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the function's value at that point. We can also use algebraic manipulation and the properties of limits to show continuity.

3. What are the implications of f(x+cy)=f(x)+cf(y) for the behavior of the function?

If a function f satisfies the property f(x+cy)=f(x)+cf(y), then it means that the function is linear. This implies that the function's graph will be a straight line, and the rate of change of the function will be constant. It also means that the function's output will change proportionally to its input, making it useful for modeling various physical and mathematical systems.

4. Can a function be continuous without satisfying f(x+cy)=f(x)+cf(y)?

Yes, a function can be continuous without satisfying the property f(x+cy)=f(x)+cf(y). For example, a function that is piecewise continuous can be continuous without being linear. This means that the function may have different rules or equations for different intervals, but it is still continuous at each point within those intervals.

5. How is continuity related to differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are closely related concepts. A function that is continuous at a point is also differentiable at that point, but the opposite is not always true. This means that if a function has a continuous graph, it will also have a smooth graph without any sharp corners or breaks. However, a function can be differentiable at a point without being continuous at that point.