1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that F transforms as an isovector.

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that
    [tex]\delta F^{\mu\nu} = g\epsilon(x) \times F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]F^{\mu\nu} = \partial^{\mu}W^{\nu} - \partial^{\nu}W^{\mu} - gW^{\mu} \times W^{\nu}[/tex]
    [tex]\delta W^{\mu} = \partial^{\mu}\epsilon(x) + g\epsilon(x) \times W^{\mu}(x)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The equation in part 1 is eqn (3.46) on page 33 of An Informal Introduction to Gauge Field Theories by I. J. R. Aitchison (digitally printed version 2007). The first equation in part 2 is eqn (3.45) on the same page, and the second equation in part 2 is eqn (3.36) on page 32 of the same book. Here is what I get.

[tex]\delta F^{\mu\nu} = \delta\partial^{\mu}W^{\nu} - \delta\partial^{\nu}W^{\mu} - \delta(gW^{\mu} \times W^{\nu})[/tex]
    [tex] = \partial^{\mu} \delta W^{\nu} - \partial^{\nu}\delta W^{\mu} - g\delta W^{\mu} \times W^{\nu} - gW^{\mu} \times \delta W^{\nu}[/tex]
    [tex] = \partial^{\mu}\partial^{\nu}\epsilon + g\partial^{\mu}\epsilon \times W^{\nu} + g\epsilon \times \partial^{\mu}W^{\nu}[/tex]
    [tex] + \partial^{\nu}\partial^{\mu}\epsilon - g\partial^{\nu}\epsilon \times W^{\mu} + g\epsilon \times \partial^{\nu}W^{\mu}[/tex]
    [tex] - g\partial^{\mu}\epsilon \times W^{\nu} - g^2\epsilon \times W^{\mu} \times W^{\nu}[/tex]
    [tex] - g W^{\mu} \times \partial^{\nu}\epsilon - g^2 W^{\mu} \times \epsilon \times W^{\nu}[/tex]
    Lots cancels out here. Unfortunately, too much does. I get

[tex]\delta F^{\mu\nu} = g\epsilon(x) \times (\partial^{\mu}W^{\nu} - \partial^{\nu}W^{\mu})[/tex]

Where is my mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you need to be careful with the terms that involve two cross products. Use of parentheses will help. You have two terms: -g2([itex]\epsilon[/itex]xWμ)xW[itex]\nu[/itex] -g2Wμx([itex]\epsilon[/itex]xW[itex]\nu[/itex])

These two terms do not cancel. You can show that the two terms together reduce to -g2[itex]\epsilon[/itex]x(WμxW[itex]\nu[/itex])

See identity #3 in this list http://wwwppd.nrl.navy.mil/nrlformulary/vector_identities.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jul 10, 2012 #3
    That's it TSny. Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook