1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that F'(x) exists for all x [tex]\in[a,b] [/tex]

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider
    F(x) = x2 sin(1/x2) if 0<x[tex]\leq1[/tex]
    and = 0 if x[tex]\leq0[/tex]

Show that F'(x) exists for all x [tex]\in[a,b] [/tex] but that F':[0,1] [tex]\rightarrow1[/tex] is not integrable.

2. Relevant equations
    So we have to show we do not have F(1)-F(0) = [tex]\int[/tex] F'(x)dx
    (integral going from 0 to 1)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having trouble proving this statement.
    Where should I start?
    To show that F'(x) exists, should I just take the derivative or do I have to go under some long theorems of analysis to PROVE?
    Thanks in advance.:shy:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2
    Most likely you'll have to actually *prove* that this derivative exists - it clearly exists for all x other than 0 because [tex]x^{2}sin(\frac{1}{x^{2}})[/tex] is the composition of differentiable functions. The only tricky part is whether F'(0) exists. To show that it does indeed exist you'll need to show that the following limit exists:

[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(h) - f(0)}{h}[/tex]

But this just equals

[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{h^{2}sin(\frac{1}{h^{2}})}{h} = lim_{h\to 0}hsin(\frac{1}{h^{2}}) = 0[/tex]

Then by application of the product rule and the chain rule,

[tex]F'(x) = 2xsin(\frac{1}{x^{2}}) - \frac{2cos(\frac{1}{x^{2}})}{x^{2}}[/tex]

if x is anything other than 0, and 0 if x=0. So all you need to show is that the above function is unbounded and it will consequently not be integrable.

4. Feb 10, 2009 #3
    right,
    But I think you made a little mistake with differentiation,
    I think it will be:

F'(x)= 2x sin(1/x2) - 2cos(1/x2)/ x

Which still, limits exists.

But How do I prove that F'(x) is unbounded?

5. Feb 10, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Take [itex]x= 1/\sqrt{2n\pi}[/itex]. Then [itex]1/x^2= 2n\pi[/itex] so [itex]sin(1/x^2)= 0[/itex] and [itex]cos(1/x^2)= 1[/itex]. [itex]F'(x)= F'(1/\sqrt{2n\pi})= -2\sqrt{2n\pi}[/itex]. x will go to 0 as n goes to infinity. What happens to F'(x)?

6. Feb 10, 2009 #5
    F'(x) will be Undefined as x approaches zero [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] unbounded [tex]\rightarrow [/tex] non integrable ??????

7. Feb 10, 2009 #6
    HallsofIvy just defined F'(x) above, so it *will* be defined; however, as n-->infinity, F'(x) also goes to infinity and this implies that the derivative is unbounded.

Also, thanks for pointing out my mistake; I was in an Econ class :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook