1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that f(x) is irreducible over Q and Q(2^(1/5))

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    Show that [itex] x^3 + 6x^2 - 12x + 2 [/itex] is irreducible in [itex] \mathbb{Q} [/itex] as well as in [itex] \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2})[/itex].

the first part i have no trouble with since it follows straight from Eisenstein's Irreducibility Criterion. For the second part i am pretty confused though. i tried looking at the solution to help me understand it but i wasn't sure what the solution did.

They say that [itex] [\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2}): \mathbb{Q}] = 5 [/itex] and i understand that since [itex] \sqrt[5]{2} [/itex] is the root of irreducible [itex] x^5 - 2 [/itex] so the degree of the field extension is 5. They then said that if [itex] x^3 + 6x^2 - 12x + 2 [/itex] was reducible, then it would have a linear factor and then there would be a root in [itex] \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2}) [/itex]. Then since this root has degree 3 and since 3 does not divide 5, then [itex] x^3 + 6x^2 - 12x + 2 [/itex] is irreducible in [itex] \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2})[/itex].

i do not understand the part about the 3 not dividing the 5. I assume they are using the theorem that says [F:K] = [F:E][E:K] if K is a subfield of E and E is a subfield of F. i suspect that this theorem is being used but i don't know how they are using it exactly. can someone help explain? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Indeed, since we can find an [itex]\alpha\in \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2})[/itex] that is a root of [itex]x^3+6x^2-12x+2[/itex], this means that this polynomial is a minimal polynomial of [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Thus [itex][\mathbb{Q}(\alpha),\mathbb{Q}]=3[/itex].

Now we have that

[tex][\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2}),\mathbb{Q}]=[\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2}),\mathbb{Q}(\alpha)][\mathbb{Q}(\alpha),\mathbb{Q}][/tex]

This means that

[tex]5=[\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2}),\mathbb{Q}(\alpha)]*3[/tex]

Or 3 divides 5. Which is impossible.

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3
    yes that makes sense. i was initially confused on which field to pick but i understand now why Q(a) was chosen. thank you for your reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook