Show that if a is any m x n matrix, then ImA = A and AIn = A

  • Thread starter Thread starter nietzsche
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matrix
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 13K views
nietzsche
Messages
185
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Show that if A is any m x n matrix, then the m x m identity multiplied by A = A, and A multiplied by the n x n identity = A.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I know how to prove this by writing out a general m x n matrix, and multiplying it by the identity, but is there a better way of showing this? It just seems kind of silly when I write it out...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I can`t really think of another way. The cleanest way I can think of:

[tex](AI)_{i,j } = \sum_{r= 1}^n A_{i, r} I_{r, j} = a_{i, j}[/tex]