Show that if a is any m x n matrix, then ImA = A and AIn = A

• Thread starter nietzsche
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, if A is any m x n matrix, then multiplying it by the m x m identity matrix results in simply A, and multiplying it by the n x n identity matrix also results in A. This can be shown through the property of the identity matrix, where the product of any entry in A with the corresponding entry in the identity matrix is equal to the entry in A.
nietzsche

Homework Statement

Show that if A is any m x n matrix, then the m x m identity multiplied by A = A, and A multiplied by the n x n identity = A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to prove this by writing out a general m x n matrix, and multiplying it by the identity, but is there a better way of showing this? It just seems kind of silly when I write it out...

Physics news on Phys.org
I can`t really think of another way. The cleanest way I can think of:

[tex] (AI)_{i,j } = \sum_{r= 1}^n A_{i, r} I_{r, j} = a_{i, j} [/tex]

What is the definition of ImA?

ImA, or the image of matrix A, is the set of all possible outputs or column vectors that can be obtained by multiplying A with any input or column vector.

What is the definition of In?

In, or the identity matrix, is a square matrix with 1s along the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. Multiplying any matrix with In will result in the original matrix, similar to multiplying any number with 1.

What does it mean for ImA to equal A?

If ImA = A, it means that all the outputs or column vectors that can be obtained by multiplying A with any input or column vector are identical to the original matrix A. In other words, the image of A is the same as A itself.

How can we prove that ImA = A?

To prove that ImA = A, we can show that every column vector in A is a linear combination of the columns in A. This can be done by row-reducing A and observing that the pivot columns correspond to the original columns in A.

What is the significance of AIn = A?

The equation AIn = A indicates that multiplying A with the identity matrix In does not change the matrix A. This is a useful property in matrix operations and can be used to simplify calculations.