Show that in every set p2 with more than three vectors is linearly dependent.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
delgeezee
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
i know S = { $$1 , x, x^2$$} is linearly dependent set for p2. where $$(a_0, a_1, a_2) = (0,0,0) $$
I wanted to use the Wronskian on { $$1 , x, x^2, x^3$$} , but as I understand, it only proves linear independence and not the converse.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
delgeezee said:
i know S = { $$1 , x, x^2$$} is linearly dependent set for p2. where $$(a_0, a_1, a_2) = (0,0,0) $$
I wanted to use the Wronskian on { $$1 , x, x^2, x^3$$} , but as I understand, it only proves linear independence and not the converse.

Hi delgeezee!

Can you elaborate?
For starters, what do you mean by p2?
And how do your $a_i$ tie in?