1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that Linear Combination is not Hermitian

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that linear combinations A-iB and A+iB are not hermitian if A and B (B≠0) are Hermitian operators

2. Relevant equations

Hermitian if: A*=A

Hermitian if: < A l C l B > = < B l C l A >

3. The attempt at a solution

So I've seen this question everywhere but not the solution to it.
    I get that the solution isn't (A+iB)* = (A*+i*B*) = (A*-iB*) (since i*=-i)
    So that's not helping me prove all its non-hermitianess, but it doesn't seem right since if I changed the order of the Hermitian:

< +iB l C l A > ≠ < A l C* l -iB >

Is that where I should be going with this? Or am I completely going wrong?
    I know it's against the rules, but could someone show me the solution? I've been stuck on this for an entire day now and I'm fed up.

Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2
    Your brackets don't look like the way I was taught Dirac notation. The operators go in the middle, not on the left or on the right.

Consider two states, [itex]\psi, \phi[/itex]. An operator [itex]\hat S[/itex] is Hermitian if

[itex]\langle \psi | \hat S | \phi \rangle = \langle \phi | \hat S | \psi \rangle[/itex]

Knowing that [itex]\hat A, \hat B[/itex] are Hermitian, plug in [itex]\hat A \pm i \hat B[/itex] for [itex]\hat S[/itex] above.

4. Jun 8, 2012 #3
    Hi, sorry I'm fairly new to this notation thing. After reading it a thousand times I think I got it. Rest assured, I think I have learned Dirac notation as you have.

And thank you for the help. Integrating A - iB and A + iB makes them not equal to each other. Which now makes sense.

Thanks a lot!!!

5. Jun 8, 2012 #4
    Let me clarify a bit, as I wrote something that was a bit misleading. For any operator [itex]\hat C[/itex],

[tex]\langle \psi | \hat C | \phi \rangle = \langle \phi | \hat C^* | \psi \rangle[/tex]

And only for a Hermitian operator is [itex]\hat C^* = \hat C[/itex].

But really, this problem is done when you realize that, if [itex]\hat C = \hat A \pm i \hat B[/itex], then [itex]\hat C^* = \hat A \mp i \hat B[/itex].

6. Jun 9, 2012 #5
    This is going to sound idiotic... but what does the upside down +/- sign denote?

7. Jun 9, 2012 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The top plus on the left goes with the top minus on the right; the bottom minus on the left goes with the bottom plus on the right. For example, when [itex]\hat C = \hat A + i \hat B[/itex], then [itex]\hat C^* = \hat A - i \hat B[/itex].

8. Jun 9, 2012 #7
    AHhhh! so it's just a thing I have to remember. Thank you!

9. Jun 9, 2012 #8
    That Ahh, isn't screaming in fear... it is in understanding in...understanding or (whatever word I was actually looking for)

10. Jun 9, 2012 #9
    Could you show how you do this part please. I'm assuming you integrate ∫ψ(A-iB)ψ*
    but im not sure where to begin on this and I feel I'm missing something very basic

11. Jun 10, 2012 #10
    A and iB are simply constants.
    Integrating a constant just gives itself back. So you get A-iB and A+iB.
    By definition A*= A if they are Hermitian.
    Since they don't equal each other, they are not Hermitian.

12. Jun 10, 2012 #11
    ah. I was assuming A and B to be functions, and that was making things alot more complex.

13. Jun 10, 2012 #12
    A and B are Operators. You cant just integrate over them. You should really pick up the book "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by Sakurai and read the first 30-50 pages.

There are two ways to introduce quantum mechanics. You either take the wave mechanics route, which leads to a very flawed understanding of quantum mechanics, or you learn it the way dirac introduced it.

Now, I dont know whether you americans really use the "*" to indicate that you mean the Operator which is dual to non-starred operator. In my opinion, that would be very misleading. We use a different symbol.

If you want to know what C* really is, then you first need to study these "states" a bit.

If you have ket (state) |a>, then that is a vector on some complex vector space.
    The bra <a| is the bra dual to |a>, that means, its a vector on the complex vector space which is dual to the vector space of which |a> is element. These are properties introduced in linear algebra which you need to know in order to understand quantum mechanics.

If you progress to operators, you need to understand that C operator only acts on ket |a>, not on bra <a|. Only the operator dual to C - C* - can act on <a|.

Sakurai explains this in great detail.

In order to show your task, i would work from the fact that an operator is defined by the way it acts on a state. Thus, if you want to prove hermiticity, or the lack of, you should take a look at:

<a|C|a>

and show that it is (not) equal to

(<a|C|a>)*

Keep in mind that <a|b> = <b|a>* and that you can act as if C|a> was just a ket.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook