1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between commutator, unitary matrix, and hermitian exponential operator

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that one can write U=exp(iC), where U is a unitary matrix, and C is a hermitian operator. If U=A+iB, show that A and B commute. Express these matrices in terms of C. Assum exp(M) = 1+M+M^2/2!....

2. Relevant equations
    U=exp(iC)
    C=C*
    U*U=I
    U=A+iB
    exp(M) = sum over n: ((M)^n)/n!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am really stumped. I tried (A+iB)(A*-iB*)=I, and I can get the commutator to come out of that, but I have these A*A and B*B terms which I am unsure how to use. I am also not using the exponential term in any way. I know it has something to do with the taylor expansion, just not sure how to get A+iB into that expansion.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2012 #2
    Remember that A and B are real matrices. For the first question, try diagonalizing U first.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook