1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that Newton's Second Law is valid?

1. Jun 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a laboratory frame of reference, an observer notes that Newton's 2nd Law is valid.
    Show that Newton's 2nd Law is also valid for an observer moving at a constant speed, small compared with the speed of light, relative to the laboratory frame.

2. Relevant equations
    dx'/dt = dx/dt - v

3. The attempt at a solution

d^2 x' / dt^2 = d^2 x/ dt^2 Can someone help me understand this better?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2015 #2
    Which part don't you understand?

Chet

4. Jun 17, 2015 #3
    I don't understand the whole answer. Can you explain what each part means?

5. Jun 17, 2015 #4
    I know it means derivative but that's it.

6. Jun 17, 2015 #5
    The velocity is subtracted from the derivative because it has to be smaller than the speed of light? Also, why is the d squared on the second part and why is d^2x` divided by dt/2 and why does this equal: d^2 x/ dt^2??

7. Jun 17, 2015 #6
    The second derivative of $x$ is the acceleration $a$. Considering that the second Newton's law states that $F=ma$, your acceleration doesn't varies because you have added a constant. So, the second Newton's law is valid in this reference frame.

Also, you are mistaken with the notation. $d^2x/dt^2$ means "second derivative of x respect to time".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted