1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that Q is proportional to V for capacitor

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Describe how you would show experimentally that the charge stored on a 220 µF capacitor is proportional to the potential difference across the capacitor for a range of potential differences between 0 and 15 V. Your answer should include a circuit diagram.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=152384&d=1338318521.png

- charge the capacitor for a given Voltage, V
    - ensure the capacitor is charging at a constant rate by varying the resistance of the variable resistor --> ensures current remains constant
    - Q=It (current * time take for capacitor to charge)
    - capacitor is charged when V on meter = V of supply
    - Q/V = constant for range of values of V

Is this method correct - would it work?

p.s: I am aware my diagram is not very well drawn - i will obviously improve this in the exam

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2
    V is easy to measure....do you know of any way to measure Q?

4. May 29, 2012 #3
    my syllabus only talks about coloumbmeters but the MS said the a coloumbeter would be insufficient for this experiment because the capacitance is too high.

I was simply wondering, would my method work?

5. May 30, 2012 #4
    Your method sounds good to me - although it might be a bit tricky keeping the current constant unless the capacitor was charging very slowly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook