Show that rotations and boosts lead to a combined boost

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
ma18
Messages
93
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Prove that applying an infinitesimal rotation of angle k<<1 around the axis x1, then a boost of speed -k along the axis x2 then the inverses of these is equal to a single boost of speed k^2 along the axis x3

The Attempt at a Solution



Putting this into mathematical terms I get

e-i*k*Jx1*ei*k*Gx2*ei*k*Jx1*e-i*k*Jx2 = e-i*k2*Gx3

However I don't really know where to go from here, the example we did in class only involved the rotations and we just used the matrix representations around the axis, but I don't know how exactly do it with the boosts.

Any help would be much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
You can expand the exponential of an infinitesimal rotation and then simplify.
Doing this I get to the equation:

upload_2015-10-27_0-24-32.png


Which after expanding leads me to

upload_2015-10-27_0-27-30.png


Taking only the terms up to e^2 reduces this to

upload_2015-10-27_0-29-57.png


Which is not equal to the right hand side with only a single boost which expands to

upload_2015-10-27_0-31-21.png


What am I missing?
 

Attachments

  • upload_2015-10-27_0-25-50.png
    upload_2015-10-27_0-25-50.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 509
Where does e come from and where did k go?
Your boost is along a different directions, the G on the different sides are not the same.
Also, I think there is some error in the expansion of the right hand side.
 
mfb said:
Where does e come from and where did k go?
Your boost is along a different directions, the G on the different sides are not the same.
Also, I think there is some error in the expansion of the right hand side.
Ah sorry, I used e in the equation instead of k, they are the same. I see, as the G is different what would be my next step?
 
Find a new G' such that the equation is true up to order k2.
If you fix the expansion of the RHS, you are just one line away from this.
 
ma18 said:
Ah sorry, I used e in the equation instead of k, they are the same.
mfb said:
Find a new G' such that the equation is true up to order k2.
If you fix the expansion of the RHS, you are just one line away from this.

Ah I see, the RHS is supposed to be (where G_x represents the new boost around x_3)

upload_2015-10-27_18-22-1.png


and then taking out the e^4 term this reduces to

upload_2015-10-27_18-22-42.png


and solving for G_x we get

upload_2015-10-27_18-23-14.png


Correct?
 

Attachments

  • upload_2015-10-27_18-22-25.png
    upload_2015-10-27_18-22-25.png
    402 bytes · Views: 488
mfb said:
Should be right.
Great, thank you so much for your help