1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that the eigenvalues of the overlap matrix are positive

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The task is to show that the eigenvalues of overlap matrix [tex]\tilde S[/tex] are positive.

2. Relevant equations
    The overlap matrix is defined as [tex] (\tilde S)_{nm} = \langle \xi_n \vert \xi_m \rangle [/tex], with [tex]\xi_k[/tex] being the base vectors of the wavefunction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlap_matrix

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to show that the eigenvalues are positive by showing that [tex]\tilde S[/tex] is positive definite. Both with the condition [tex]\vec x^{\ast} \tilde S \vec x > 0[/tex] and the condition that all the 'sub-determinants' are larger than zero. But I don't get it right, please help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2
    In a naively way i would say: It is just an integral of a probabilty distribution---> it is positive by definition!!

More thecnically: the diagonal members are for sure positive and what about the off diagonal?

Hint: use the fact that [tex]S_{jk}=\overline{S}_{kj}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?