1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that the homogeneous equation (Ax^2+By^2)dx+(Cxy+Dy^2)d

1. Jun 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the homogeneous equation: $$(Ax^2+By^2)dx+(Cxy+Dy^2)dy=0$$ is exact iff 2b=c.

2. Relevant equations
    None, just definitions.

3. The attempt at a solution

Let $$M = Ax^2+By^2$$ and $$N = Cxy+Dy^2$$

Taking the partial derivative of M with respect to y and the partial of N with respect to x we get

$$\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} \ =2By$$ and $$\frac{\partial N}{\partial x} \ =Cy$$

$$\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} \ =\frac{\partial N}{\partial x} $$ is true only if 2B=C.

What is giving problems here is the iff statement. Can I compete this problem by stating that 2b=c, then
    $$\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} \ =\frac{\partial N}{\partial x} $$ ??

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have shown that if the equation is exact, then 2B = C.
    It's easy to show that if 2B = C, then the equation is exact (i.e., that ##M_y = N_x##).
    For this one, however, since each of the steps is really if and only if (reversible), you don't need to prove both statements.

4. Jun 11, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the clarification. So it is basic substitution of 2B=C in the equation to get ##M_y = N_x##). Thanks, Mark. I was overthinking the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted