Show that the homogeneous equation (Ax^2+By^2)dx+(Cxy+Dy^2)d

In summary, the equation $$(Ax^2+By^2)dx+(Cxy+Dy^2)dy=0$$ is exact if and only if 2B=C, which can be shown through substitution in the equation to get ##M_y = N_x##.
MidgetDwarf

Homework Statement

Show that the homogeneous equation: $$(Ax^2+By^2)dx+(Cxy+Dy^2)dy=0$$ is exact iff 2b=c.

Homework Equations

None, just definitions.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let $$M = Ax^2+By^2$$ and $$N = Cxy+Dy^2$$

Taking the partial derivative of M with respect to y and the partial of N with respect to x we get

$$\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} \ =2By$$ and $$\frac{\partial N}{\partial x} \ =Cy$$

$$\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} \ =\frac{\partial N}{\partial x} $$ is true only if 2B=C.

What is giving problems here is the iff statement. Can I compete this problem by stating that 2b=c, then
$$\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} \ =\frac{\partial N}{\partial x} $$ ??

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
MidgetDwarf said:

Homework Statement

Show that the homogeneous equation: $$(Ax^2+By^2)dx+(Cxy+Dy^2)dy=0$$ is exact iff 2b=c.

Homework Equations

None, just definitions.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let $$M = Ax^2+By^2$$ and $$N = Cxy+Dy^2$$

Taking the partial derivative of M with respect to y and the partial of N with respect to x we get

$$\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} \ =2By$$ and $$\frac{\partial N}{\partial x} \ =Cy$$

$$\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} \ =\frac{\partial N}{\partial x} $$ is true only if 2B=C.

What is giving problems here is the iff statement. Can I compete this problem by stating that 2b=c, then
$$\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} \ =\frac{\partial N}{\partial x} $$ ??

Can someone point me in the right direction.
You have shown that if the equation is exact, then 2B = C.
It's easy to show that if 2B = C, then the equation is exact (i.e., that ##M_y = N_x##).
For this one, however, since each of the steps is really if and only if (reversible), you don't need to prove both statements.

Mark44 said:
You have shown that if the equation is exact, then 2B = C.
It's easy to show that if 2B = C, then the equation is exact (i.e., that ##M_y = N_x##).
For this one, however, since each of the steps is really if and only if (reversible), you don't need to prove both statements.

Thanks for the clarification. So it is basic substitution of 2B=C in the equation to get ##M_y = N_x##). Thanks, Mark. I was overthinking the question.

1. What is a homogeneous equation?

A homogeneous equation is an equation that is made up of terms that are all of the same degree and have the same variables. In other words, the sum of the exponents of each variable in every term is the same.

2. What is the purpose of showing homogeneity in an equation?

Showing homogeneity in an equation allows us to apply certain mathematical techniques and transformations to simplify the equation and solve for its solutions.

3. How do you determine if an equation is homogeneous?

To determine if an equation is homogeneous, check if all the terms have the same degree and the same variables. If they do, then the equation is homogeneous.

4. What are the possible solutions for a homogeneous equation?

The possible solutions for a homogeneous equation can be found by setting one of the variables equal to a constant and solving for the other variable. This will result in a family of solutions with one degree of freedom.

5. How can homogeneity be used to solve for unknown constants in an equation?

If an equation is homogeneous, we can use the fact that multiplying all variables by a constant will not change the solution. This allows us to choose a convenient value for one of the variables and solve for the unknown constants using the other variable.