Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta function and dirac notation

1. Jan 15, 2016 #1
    Hello there !
    I found this discussion http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...a-delta-function-position-space-wave-function about dirac notation and delta function .
    The one that answers to the problem says that ##<a|a>=1## and ##<a|-a>=0## .
    As far as i know:
    1) ##<a|-a>=δ(a-(-a))## which in this case is zero because delta function is zero everywhere except ##x=-a## where it goes to infinity. So i understand why this is zero.
    2) ##<a|a>=δ(a-a) → ∞ ## and not 1 . Am I wrong and this ##<a|a>## is obviously 1. Can you explain me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2016 #2

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are correct - it is infinity. Strictly speaking its undefined, but is usually taken as infinity. The issue with infinity and why its better to have it undefined is c∂(t) is also zero when t is not zero and infinity when t = 0 for any positive c. So, naively, c'∂(t) = c∂(t) for any positive c or c'. But it acts differently when integrated.

Thanks
    Bill

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  4. Jan 15, 2016 #3
    So it is wrong to normalize the function with the two delta functions that he gives using ##<a|a>=1## because it actually goes to infinity.
    So how could we normalize ##ψ(x)=δ(x-a)+δ(x-a)## in a correct way ?

5. Jan 15, 2016 #4

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They are distributions - normalisation makes no sense. The square of a delta function doesn't exist.

I suggest getting hold of the following:
    https://www.amazon.com/The-Theory-Distributions-Nontechnical-Introduction/dp/0521558905

It will help in many areas of applied math not just QM.

Thanks
    Bill

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Jan 15, 2016 #5
    Thank you for your response :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook