1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that the Poisson Mass Function has the same value for λ and λ-1

1. Apr 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that, quite generally, the Poisson Mass Function has the same value at λ (i.e. the average) and at (λ-1).

2. Relevant equations
    The Poisson Mass Function is
    p(x) = [e^(-λ) * λ^(x)]/(x!)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started out by plugging in λ-1 into the equation to get p(x)= [e^(-λ-1) * (λ-1)^(x)]/(x!) but now I've gotten stuck. I'm not sure how to progress and prove this other than plug in different x and λ values. I've seen the graphs and such that indicate that λ and λ-1 share the same value, but I just can't figure out how to mathematically prove it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

If I'm not mistaken, ## \lambda ## does not change in what you are trying to show. One thing you can do is let ## p(x-1)=p(x) ## and solve for ## x ##.

4. Apr 11, 2016 #3
    Thank you for the advice. I'm very confused as to how this would actually show that p(x|λ) = p(x|λ-1).

5. Apr 11, 2016 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper

This one is quite simple I think. ## e ^ {-\lambda} * \lambda^ {(x-1)}/(x-1)!=e ^ {-\lambda} * \lambda^x/x! ## . A little algebra and you have the answer. (Note x is an integer here).

6. Apr 11, 2016 #5
    Oh, I see where I'm confused. I'm not looking to solve for x-1, but rather λ-1. x remains x for this equation.

7. Apr 12, 2016 #6
    I reread this, and so I've attached the homework question (and the mentioned graph) to better help describe what I'm getting at. I'm very lost how to prove this.http://imgur.com/NyuuHmT

8. Apr 12, 2016 #7
  9. Apr 12, 2016 #8

Charles Link

Homework Helper

## \lambda ## is a parameter that is pre-selected that gives the shape of the curve. For a given ## \lambda ## there will be two consecutive integers, x-1 and x that have the same value for ## p ## i.e. ## p(x-1)=p(x) ##. That equation, in post #4 is easy to solve. ## x!/(x-1)!=x ##. I could show you the rest, but the Forum rules want the OP to do some of the work. When you get this answer for ## x ## it tells you where this "peak" occurs, i.e. for a given pre-selected ## \lambda ##, where the ## p ## function levels off with two equal values before it drops back down. If ## p(x) ## were a continuous function, you would set ## dp(x)/dx=0 ## to find this peak. Instead, ## x ## has only integer values, so you set ## p ## equal for two consecutive integers.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  10. Apr 12, 2016 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No: look at the diagram you supplied. The parameter ##\lambda## is fixed, and you are being asked to show that ##p(x|\lambda) = p(x-1|\lambda)## when ##x = \lambda##. That's all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted